Sign in to follow this  
VR6Will

My thoughts on the Schrick Manifold

Just a hunch, but I suspect the flap isn't closing and it's behaving like a standard manifold, hence not feeling any difference.

With the flap shut, it really is difficult to not notice the difference as the intake pulses hit 6psi at 3500rpm. I noticed a big difference on my engine when shoving it on and doing nothing else, but two things I didn't like about the Schrick:-

1) Torque at and below 1500rpm is 10lb/ft less than the standard manifold.

2) The 4000 rpm switch over is quite pronounced which bugged me.

Actually, can you feel the engine response dip at 4000rpm? If not, then the flap is definitely not working properly.

At the end of the day, the only way to prove if the Schrick is making a difference or not is to stick it on the rolling road. You can't arue with the numbers.

Kev, there is a flat spot about 3800rpm but cant hear a change in engine note at 4k when the flap opens. A friend of mine also has a Schrick on her vr and i can hear the tone change in engine note when the flap opens at 4k, this im not getting, which makes me think the flap isn't closing 100% therefore like you say acting like a normal manifold.

Totally agree about not being able to argue with the numbers, and the ClubGTi rolling road day at the end of april would show what difference the Schrick has made, however, im being a nuisance and adding a set of 268cams into the equation too, lol, so unfortunately not really going to be able to tell what difference the Schrick alone has made.

Well I can testify that a Schrick VGI, Schrick 268 cams, metal gasket, thottle body and remap make a MASSIVE amount of difference. Oh yes. yes.gif

And the answer to my question Mat?

...has already been given.

Mat noticed a big difference in the car despite it being unmapped and pinking, a difference that I also noticed when I went out for a passenger ride with him.

Yep, I had already said that. I wasn't ignoring the question, just got distracted...

I'm with the Wire on this. Flap not closing properly == standard manifold. Open the bonnet, push the flap actuator DOWN, then go for a drive. It'll pink it's arse off but you should get a single blast of torque before the flap sticks open again. If it does this, your flap is fucked. As it were .. :)

Schrick + pinking == some "schrick effect" but not all that lovely torque. If the pinking is very bad, this too can feel like the Schrick is not working at all.

I've had both problems.

Hey JonRB -

Out of interest Jon what numbers are you making now? (PM me if your embarassed by all that power!)

Am interested as the Nothelle will be going into Stealth on Good Friday for not-disimilar work to yours to be done, although I'm having a VWMS VSR fitted instead of a "shrek"

John

@John - the car was running month-old 95RON unleaded when it went on the rollers, so the final figure isn't totally representative as it had been mapped for Super, but the headline figures were 226bhp @ 6465 rpm and 206lb ft @ 3700 rpm

Nice action! Using 99RON should add a couple of BHP to that at least.

I was going to say I agree 100% with yourself and the earlier posters; it's essential to have the engine remapped when you have a VGI fitted so that the fuelling is set correctly. The car will pink at the bottom end otherwise

I bet you're glad you kept the Corrado now eh ? :D It's a wolf in sheep's clothing with 226bhp...

It's a wolf in sheep's clothing with 226bhp...

Indeed. Wheelspin and torque-steer in 1st are now something to be very aware of rather than the once-in-a-blue-moon occurrence they were before.

I've had a similar spec. 2.9, mk4 HG, 268's and a VGI. worked fine, never ren it on super either.

Fair enough. I believe that Vince has mapped mine specifically for Super and says I shouldn't run 95RON which is why I'm running Super now.

When Vince ran my 2.8 OBD II wih 268s and mk4 HG, he said remapping an OBD II doesn't release as much power as remapping an OBD I

Non Shrek manifold here tho!

been following this thread with some interest as my ole beast is having its Shrek (from the recent group buy) 268's, Quaiffe & a few other bits & bods fitted this week by the nice chaps at G-Werks.

hopefully the end results gonna put a smile on my face!