Sign in to follow this  
rolex

suggestions please-----subs/amps

right, just want some suggestions on what amp an sub to go for please, second hand aint a problem, set up will be audioscape pods with speakers

then sub in box with one amp to run it all.(no rear speakers) budgets not alot tho £300 for sub+amp.

thanks.

Had a listen to my mates Scirocco on Saturday (the red one with the 16v on motorbike carbs that was at Ultimate Dubs) that was running Hertz 6.5" components and 2x 10" subs with the new Audsion LRX 4 channel amp, sounded absolutely awesome! Pi$$ed all over my Focal Utopia components focal sub and old Audison LRX amp!!!

If I were after a system now that's what I'd go for! seriously nice sounding system!

Which Hertz mate? I've seen most of the range as Scape sell them, but I wasn't impressed with them tbh...... great packaging and marketing and very big in Italy where they're from, but the woofers don't have much QTS, and I like my bottom end :-)

thanks for all the above.

mrbeige thats the sort of set up im after,you havnt any pics do you?

right im gonna start with the sub/s, whats the difference between sealed aan ported?

what are the following like? (sub wise)

fli (sp)

vibe

infinity

jl audio

jbl

audiobahn

alpine

right im gonna start with the sub/s, whats the difference between sealed, an ported,an base tubes?

fli (sp)

vibe

infinity

jl audio

jbl

audiobahn

alpine

Which Hertz mate? I've seen most of the range as Scape sell them, but I wasn't impressed with them tbh...... great packaging and marketing and very big in Italy where they're from, but the woofers don't have much QTS, and I like my bottom end :-)

The system is as follows

Hertz MLK 165 components £475

Hertz Mille 10 subs £450

Audison LRX4.1 amplifier £700

I thought it sounded really well balanced. Not a huge amount of bass, but well rounded and smooth.

right im gonna start with the sub/s, whats the difference between sealed, an ported,an base tubes?

fli (sp)

vibe

infinity

jl audio

jbl

audiobahn

alpine

Ported tends to give a louder output at the expense of musicality, sealed tends to give a lower peak output but better spread of bass. Sound quality competition cars tend to go sealed, SPL comp cars always use ported.

Question is do you want something that sounds good or that goes boom boom that can be heard half a mile away.

From the sub makes you listed i would say in order of preference

JL Audio, alpine, Infinity, JBL, vibe, fli, audiobahn. All that depends what model from each manufacturer as well...

Deoending what you want, what size box you want in your car, how much amp power you have, what sound your after etc will effect which is best for you...

Not necessarily, I've heard plenty of ported cabinets with a better defined and deeper bass than sealed and with a big frequency range too. These were no boom boom boxes, but properly designed for musicality.

Sealed cabinets are easy to design and make. Porting is a lot more complicated and it's usually the badly designed boxes that give porting a bad name, but it's a lot more efficient than sealed.

Passive radiating is good too as it relieves the cabinet pressures, but without the blooming of badly designed and loaded ports......it's a very smooth way to port and gives some real depth too if the radiators are large enough.

I'm not biased to porting or sealed, I like which ever sounds best and it's always porting to my ears.

do this!!

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Tweets - MB Quarts - £35 (ebay)

Front speakers - Corals 6.5" - £75 (Talkaudio)

Sub - Focal 13" - £100 (Car audio shop end of line model)

Sub Box hand made £60-80 (for materials)

Front Pods - Audioscape - £125 (shop had an extra set and not many cream cars so I got a bargin!)

Amps:

Sub amp - PG 1200.1d - £350 (Car audio shop display model but not powed in shop)

Component amp - BBG 75.4 (licenced by PG) - £125 (ebay)

Cables - £80 - again it was all clearance in local shop. included fuse holders and loads of 4 and 8 guage, phonos and some speaker cable.

I am goning to change to a single 5 channel amp soon when funds allow.

Really cant stress this enough - CABLES!! Make sure you have a good set of Power and speaker cables. I ran JL Audio Power and chunky speaker wire through the car, I need to (one day) change my phonos but its all in now and I dont want to take it all apart again so when doing the cables do it right the first time!!

Oh and it sounds great!!

looking good slats 8)

i need a amp to power the following,once again, just something to do the job not big bucks,

all run by alpine cda-9853r mp3wma 50x4amp.

front speakers alpine

220w peak power

40w rms

4 ohm

60-20k hz

sensitivity 92db

2x10"sub in ported box

400w peak power

200w rms

4 ohm

30-4k hz

sensitivity 92db