Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

Car economics

I was talking to my dad earlier today and he casually dropped into conversation that he's getting himself a brand new A4 Cabby :lol:

Which is all very well and good and wotnot, but he's getting it on a long-term lease for 2 years because apparently it saves him money and hassle rather than buying it outright.

The thing that got me was him saying that it's "only" going to cost him £6k for 2yrs ownership, which isn't much different to the amoutn he'd lose if he bought the car himself, then sold it in 2yrs time.

I was sitting there thinking what I could do to the C with £6k over the course of 2 years :lol:

But it makes you think - if you get a new car then you just throw the money away in depreciation, but if you get a Corrado then you're still spending the same money, but you get new shiney toys every time you empty your wallet.

I know what I'd rather have :)

I have thought about this leasing lark too. For £150 a month i can get a brand new polo tdi. Ok its a polo, with a 1.4 diesel engine, BUT, it will only cost me £1800 a year to run a car without ever having to worry about it. Then the C can be kept for weekend/good weather and the polo can get daily abuse.

you'll be too young for putting it on a classic policy..........IIRC they all stipulate that you have to be 25yo+

I found one when i was looking for my C. The age requirement was 21, and all C's were down as classics. I can remember because i was looking at a quote for a VR6, but i cant for the life of me remember the company :?

Good point Dinklebunny, £6000 would get you a lot of shinny new parts for your money, assuming they were not on back order :?

Rodders, there are some classic car policys that kick in at 21+ as well, Footman James will cover you at 21+.