Sign in to follow this  
metz

Post rado viewing

Just been to view the red rado on ebay in south yorks.

Guy seemed really genuine so had a long chat about it..full vw service history, bags of reciepts for various stuff, reciepts for jabba service on charger (didnt notice buut may have been r1) these were done in 2003 and since then the car has covered approx 18k.

Its had a full respray and looks immaculate, all underneath is undersealed..looked for signs of welding but couldnt see any so if its been done its done well. i noticed a reciept from springs and shocks too.

On the test drive the car pulled like a train with no hesitation and stopped well with no brake judder. all electrics work well. even the drivers seat bolster was good.

it has a milltek exhaust on and this may be related but the only problem i noticed was in 2nd gear there was a slight vibration in the passenger footwell area. disapeared as soon as it came. so may have been the exhaust catching a little. It needs a new tyre and rear brakes are seized as he left it in garage with handbrake on but hes booked it in for mot tomoz morning and is getting both jobs sorted. other than a crack in the offside headlight lens it was fine.

Yea i noticed lol

Oh one other thing..shift changes were like butter :-D

Steering was quite heavy..but coming from my old powersteering car that would swap lanes if u coughed on the wheel im not suprised.

Just got txt off the rado owner, hes sticking 12 months mot on it for me..it failed on one front tyre, front pads and the hand brake..as he left it on while its been sat in garage. offered it me for £1800 the way it is or 2k fixed. was wondering how much these things would cost to sort really. as if its worth getting for 1800 i will just take it straight to a garage for a new tyre, buy some pads fit em and take it for rear brakes sorted..

what do you guys think? its only mot'd till may 7th i think

you may well need two new rear calipers, once the h/brake mech starts to go they'll never work for long if just freed off. Look at 50 quid each exchange (possibly more) plus brake bleeding etc.. You also need a caliper wind back tool to refit rears.

ahh i see, but i presume when he books it in for mot theyre just gunna do their stuff and free em off to pass anyway lol.

and it has 17" tyres..not sure on profile but i would say maybe 40.

so u think its just cheaper to let him sort? iam tempted but at moment hand brake is useless almost.

i would take it as it is for 1800, front pads are an easy job, tyre will cost 35-40 for a decent one (although its always worth replacing a pair to maintain the handling) and rear brakes can most probably be sorted by a bit of cleaning and wiggling.

so you would probably save around 100 quid which you could spend on the car elsewhere.

edit: ah if the tyres are 17's it may be worth letting him sort it then.

As david says, the most expensive bit is the rear calipers. £55/each minimum, assuming you'll get part-ex for the old ones. £110

Then theres your 205/40/17 tyre, £85 for a decent one fitted. (£45 cheapo)

Then lastly your pads off GSF for £22.

Thats basically £200 excluding labour.

So only pay 1800 if you're willing to do the work your self (and if you do, you're bound to find other stuff worth doing). But if you do pay the full 2000, make sure he gets you a decent tyre.

Whats the tyre tread like on the others? Surely the fronts are both low?

Yea thats what im wondering..i just wanted to pick it up too excited hahaha. got a mate who works at c&r enterprises who could probably sort rear brakes for beer tokens but not knowing what exactly is wrong with them makes me think let him do em..i can get rear calipers for £35 + vat each.

He had the offside front tyre swapped other week and was getting this one done when he got paid. its not legal thats for sure lol

calipers and pads are just under £100 from a mate at euro car parts. then like u say still need a tyre and mot. so its easier to let him do it.

..i can get rear calipers for £35 + vat each.

refurbished for £41? ...oooh, where from?

calipers and pads are just under £100 from a mate at euro car parts.

oh. Pads have to be in that deal? (presume pads to be £20 for the set); Then still £80 for the calipers would be fine if they were professionally refurbished.

then like u say still need a tyre and mot. so its easier to let him do it.

arh, wouldn't buy a car without an MOT. Who's to say your local place won't fail it on other stuff?

Yea true mate, hes only local so i could take it back to where he went with the fail sheet but its seeming like a lot of hassle to maybe save a few quid.

and you'd only save a FEW quid if you were able to find the calipers cheap.

good luck and hope yu dont find any more faults.

Will this be your spare car or your every day runner?

will be everyday car but i dont do that many miles and i can take my grandads polo out anytime i want as he does 2miles a week in it. so the rado will probably end up being used for weekends :-)

Well i will be bothered hahah..but atleast i can still get around while its being put right.

Looks like a good buy

I would get the charger health checked before to long just to be on the safe side :wink:

I wouldn't bother nipping over to Jabba at any point tbh to have charger checked / rebuilt. Do a search for Jabbasport and charger rebuild or similar to see why. Better sticking it down to G-werks to get it inspected / rebuilt if required.

Ahh ok, it was only because it was last done there. but i have heard off a few guys g-werks is the place to go.

Also i want a bbm charger from them..so i will have to sell a kidney first.

Ahh ok, it was only because it was last done there. but i have heard off a few guys g-werks is the place to go.

Also i want a bbm charger from them..so i will have to sell a kidney first.

steady on tiger,have some fun we the G before u start fittin a screw charger!!!

i wouldnt mind gettin mine down to daz an gettin it done to r1 spec if i dont manage to save for a bbm charger,also thought about gettin the sns anti lag chip as well.well have to try an talk some discount we daz an both get the bbm charger @ the same time :lol: