Sign in to follow this  
swfblade

Coilover life expectancy?

How long should a set of Coilovers last? The ones on my VR (Koni FA) have been on for over 4 years now, and I'm starting to think that they might need replacing.

Hmmm - yeah I was wondering the same - the Konigsports on the TDI have done 60k ish now - me reckons they are probably past their best!

Apparently you should replace your shocks every 20k miles. But that's almost certainly a bit excessive for most people ..

dr_mat, I've heard 50-60 but 20 is a bit overkill!!

BTW - I changed the original (90k) ones on my mum's Golf, they were Boge shocks and none of them leaked and all passed the bounce test ok but when we took them off the springs and pushed them down none returned back up!

Only gas shocks return when you push them down manually. The shocks fitted to Corrados were not gas filled, with the sole exception of the ones on the VR6. I'd imagine that older Golfs were the same .. So don't necessarily assume that means they're fooked.

I'm sure Vince said something about every 20k. Perhaps he meant they should be checked every 20k..

right, yeah i forgot to put mileage up....

Anyway, these have done probably at least 40k+ and as I say it doesnt quite "feel" as good as it did when I first got her. seems to understeer a lot more, tho that might just be me driving faster.... :lol:

Oh really? - I assumed all should return but yes they were Oil - I swapped for the SACHS Gas ones tho from VWSpares as they were only £15 more for all 4...

Still worked out at over £200 in parts tho as front topmounts were mullered and rear ones were noticably worn so they were all changed.

The other annoying thing was that they didn't come with the plastic boot clip thing fitted to the fronts and altho you could get it off the old ones you could not fit over the new shocks because of the difference in design... all the VW shocks come with these fitted and they are also SACHS/Boge so seems to be another example of OE parts made to a slightly cheaper spec for the pattern market...

It doesn't really feel any different over bumps etc and I think the Gas's are slightly harder riding but you certainly feel the difference around corners and it pitches like a mk4 now (nothing else was changed either) - shame the car is only worth about a grand!

right, yeah i forgot to put mileage up....

Anyway, these have done probably at least 40k+ and as I say it doesnt quite "feel" as good as it did when I first got her. seems to understeer a lot more, tho that might just be me driving faster.... :lol:

That could just be bushes though mate not necessarily the suspension. If you changed yout top mounts and got the bushes/ball joints etc done the car would feel like new again.

herisites, exactly - also tyres, ball joints - so many variables...

swfblade, The only way you'll tell is to swap them really!

Dampers deterioate from day one. How long they last is everything to do with how the car is driven and nothing to do with set intervals.

I've killed a set of Koni TA's inside 3000 miles, twice, but they're supposed to last a lifetime.

You cannot put a set lifespan on any moving suspension part. If they feel knackered, they are! Don't bother with a bounce test as it just doesn't work on uprated suspension. The springs are too stiff. Instead, feel for wheel bounce as you're driving along.

Its just starting to feel wrong. Little too spongy on the rear for me, little bit of understeer, etc.

Looks like I'll probably get some new ones then, but now its a question of what coilies to go for! Oh and also the bushes, are polyflex ones worth it, or might I just as well go for stock VAG ones?