Sign in to follow this  
robster

Pulling to the left

Have spent some time searching for this but can't find it been mentioned before, if it was please redirect.

Car pulls to the left under acceleration

Problems has been there a while now, have put in new wishbones with bushings, track rod ends and ball joints and had it tracked, still the same !!

All advice appreciated.

Are your top mounts in good condition?

I have a torque steer type effect from an old worn rack, shortly to be replaced, which also causes a similar effect.

You checked your tyre wear on each side of the car. I had this on my Lexus as I had 2 different size tyres on the back (The driven wheels)

David:

still running original suspension set up so would have to take it that they could be on the way out. I have a new set of weitecs to go on it, it is just the top mounts that need replacing or is there any thing else is should change in it when doing these? Is there a bearing also that the shock sits into?

whats the story with the racks, where can you pic these up? Expense???

Gusto: They are brand new tyres on it, not even 150 miles on them along with new wheels.

The early cars have a single piece golf mk2 style strut top bearing and mounting, they're OK with a mm of play in them but can wear so badly that they pop up a cm or more, the later cars have the 2 piece type with a separate bearing.

Racks are a problem, mega £££ for a VAG one and recon ones have had bad reports, only other option is second hand and it's not a 5 minute job. see here

Sorry should have mentioned that, pressures fine

Rose joints??? Not fimiliar with them ?? Where are they located?

Would take it that with tyre pressure the pull would be in all of the time, it really comes to life and pulls to the left under heavy acceleration, for example when overtaking, can be scary sometimes

i'm not too sure where rose joints are, i think they link the steering bit together, i just had mine replaced and 4x tyres and the car feels alot more sure footed now

Could it possibly have anything to do with worn engine mounts, i have replaced the front but not the other two yet?

Corrados don't have Rose Joints.

Engine flywheels generate a mild gyro effect, which will try to keep the engine's mass upright and not pull to one side, if you follow, but if say the gearbox mount was knackered, it's possible the engine could twist under load slightly and the gyro affect would then biased to one side slightly, left in your case.

You also need to factor out the most common cause of torque steer - road surface.

Could also be bad dampers, binding calipers, worn top mounts, worn rack, all sorts of reasons....

So take it the following I will be doing next:

Coilovers & new top mounts

New Gearbox mount and rear Mount

Will let you know how i go.

well i'm not sure what i had replaced then, were little round things with what looked like rubber between them

does it pull to the right if you accelerate on the wrong side of the road?

may just be the road camber

No, just always seems to pull to left, even when over taking in which case i would be on the right hand side of the road ....

well i'm not sure what i had replaced then, were little round things with what looked like rubber between them

A rose joint is a spherical bearing mounted on the end of a threaded arm.

Technically speaking, I suppose the tie rod ends could be classed as Rose Joints, but the term itself is more specific to the type of bearing and fittings ;-)

Just thought I'd clear that up :lol:

Round things with rubber between them could be your Anti-roll bar bushes maybe?