Sign in to follow this  
M15 VW

Intercoolers for charged VRs

Possibly looking for a front mounted intercooler for Zed with a standard bumper. Anyone got any suggestions? Whats everyone else using?

dunno if this helps but im turboin a 16v, a friend is breaking a punto turbo with a pace intercooler. iv offered it up and it will fit in front of the rad but a bit of the slam pannel's brace will need trimming but width wise it just fits between the 2 chassis legs spot on, 2" inlet/outlet and the pipes both bend backwards towards the rear of the car, another one is the frontera TD intercooler,the same layout as the one above, iv got one on my nova turbo and that copes with 300bhp no problems, ill post some measurements tomorrow if u like? this is slim too so it may fit between the rad and brace bar as is is, these can be bought for £40 upwards so quite cheap too

You want an chargecooler to keep pressure drops to a minimum,you will loose to much via a intercooler,ive been there done that and would never use intercooler with a charger.

....well i'm not complaining @ 330bhp, 324lb ft with an r32 intercooler fmic....

also running a std bumper. lot cheaper than a charge cooler which ultimately can be the deciding factor - only cost me £60 and made the piping...

theres always an ideal but if money was no object, who'd be driving a corrado? (...and before anyone says it, who'd be drinking 4x ;) )

schimmel002.jpg

cool thanks for all the info. I'll most likely go for a charge cooler. Just need to wait til Zed is back to measure up. Thanks again :)

....well i'm not complaining @ 330bhp, 324lb ft with an r32 intercooler fmic....

also running a std bumper. lot cheaper than a charge cooler which ultimately can be the deciding factor - only cost me £60 and made the piping...

theres always an ideal but if money was no object, who'd be driving a corrado? (...and before anyone says it, who'd be drinking 4x ;) )

Don't forget to tell the readers that yours is 3.1 capacity with a long throw crank, which gives you the impressive torque. And that crank limits the top end......I've seen your plots on Vince's computer ;-)

And you're blasting 15psi into that massive Skyline IC and getting 10.5-11 out the other side. The same 15psi into a Schimmel Chargecooler would give you 14.75psi out the other side, no higher than 50 Farenheit and 380-400hp, ta very much :lol:

Surely that is more appealing than fannying about chopping up the front of a Corrado for an inefficient air-air intercooler?

i agree kev - in an ideal world, i'd have a charge cooler but for the price, the FMIC gives good results. i'll get the crank spinning faster when i remove some parasitic weight but no worries - all the power and torque are low down - the only downside is that more power wasn't realised above 5800 rpm or so to get a more impressive headline figure, as it were, for all the max bhp whores out there. the way it delivers it at the mo is far better than 400+bhp cars i've came up against/been in

...as coxy says - fastest car he's ever been in - no doubt until some of these turbo'd beasties get sorted.

as regards fannying around, i tend to cock-around 8) - either way, i totally and utterly couldn't disagree with you there - that IS actually the appeal - thats where the enjoyment comes from producing something bespoke - i'm sure you've enjoyed alot of the fannying around youv'e done - if you hadn't done it and catalogged it, there'd be a lot less posts on this forum ;)

you're as much a fannier as i am a cocker arounderer :roll:

the pressure drop aint that bad either - only about 2psi - and for an air-to-air system, it aint inefficient, just not as efficient as comparing it to a water/air system. the flow characterisitcs are very good as all the pipework is flared and bent smoothly and the r32 cooler flow is also very good compared to some - good enough for many a skyline and also used in all these scoobies/evo's etc.......

oh dear, i think there is gonna be some big/complicated words being used in this thread now, :wink:

you're as much a fannier as i am a cocker arounderer :roll:

That is very true :lol:

Wow, I'm impressed...... I haven't seen you on here for ages and you come back with that excellent post 8)

True, revs will give you power, but with a turbo, you get the torque and the power going up together right to 7K no worries, or 6.5K or what ever.....so you get that pub 400hp, but also 380-420lbs torque, depending on turbo trim and cfms etc etc....to go with it. Your setup would probably do similar cause of your crank and that whopper of an IC.....

I've always thought your torque was excellent for a charged engine. I was always quite dissapointed with such a disparity between the power and twisty stuff with regular charged VRs.....i.e. 280hp with 250 torques.... I can tell from your numbers and your plots that 3 or 4mm of throttle opening is going to have a big effect compared to a lesser motor!

I just like the unpredictable boost you get from turbos more than the predictable linear delivery of chargers.....but each to our own 8)

I forgot to add to my previous post that your setup cost considerably less to implement than mine did because I saw Schimmel's setup and just had to have it ;-) Turns out his stuff is brutally effective too, which is always a bonus.

So when are you getting that Standalone then? :-)

..its all about the funds, wires - as i've said, wish i had your disposable income - either that or your fanatical attitude, bordering on madness, i've got to say.

always said the plan was to charge, dta, rebore with long stroke crank to 3.3ish and fit forged pistons with a fidanza

the trouble is, the next step is rebore, pistons and stand-alone which is expensive - still only half way there to be honest - got a "spare" VR to sell and may be selling electric recaro's to fund the stand-alone ecu setup cos i'm going to get 400BHP one way or another.

the fidanza has been gathering moss for over a year now so that will let the crank rev a bit more - a rebore to get a more "square" setup and pistons will more or less complete the project as its always been envisaged.

i've actually had the cooler cut down slightly so its a custom size droppiing slightly less psi and fitting into the std bumper better - more cocking around, indeed.........

Ah the old chestnut! Chargecool or intercool.

Guess it does come down to budget and how much you want to chop yer C around.

For me minimal hacking about of the front of my C was the only option. But keep the costs down by making a short runner and going for an in-between chargecooler.

Oh and a strong desire to try something different from everybody else!

Chargecooler pros:

compact and easy to fit

small pipework to front rad

minimal or no cutting of car

very efficient and low pressure loss

short pipework when used with short runner mani

Chargecooler cons:

Cost

Weight (maybe). But I did compare my CC kit with a Rallye intercooler and not much in it really.

Intercooler Pros:

Low cost by comparison

Works well if sized properly

Intercooler cons:

Difficult pipework on a C without some chopping

Ideally needs a shortrunner manifold

Lots of pipework to fill with boost

Pressure losses if you don't have a huge IC

You could always try water injection??? works pretty damn well on my car?? just a thought??

...definately an "as well as" as opposed to an "instead of" IMO

the trouble is, the next step is rebore, pistons and stand-alone which is expensive -

A certain wirey person may have some 500 mile old 83.5mm JE pistons available. Just bought some new rings for them too ;-)

They would give some nice capacity with your crank. What's it's throw?

I might be moving on from the P8Pro into the S series soon, so another chance to hoover up a wire bargain :-)

Mmmmmmmm, could you please keep me in mind Kev, if you do change over from the P8Pro.

cheers

karl

oi - i got first dibs - i'm taking that as an offer, wires.

i posted before i would be interested in the JE's - send me some details then chap - why you thinking of moving to the 'S' series - just aft er the latest and best?

.....nice turn of phrase on you sig there i just noticed kad - i've got a de-wipered arse as well totally smoothed over is that what your sig refers to?

yeh thats what it means paul. just thought to try, and put some humour in there mate.

karl :)