Sign in to follow this  
flusted

Stick on number plates

Ive just had my rs bumper completely smoothed and was wondering if i could get away with having a stick on number plate on the bonnet?

I believe old minis etc used to use this method so can i?

By stick on, i mean a vinyl plate rather than acrylic?

I don't think that anything other than the proper acrylic plate is road-legal.

Whether that means you'll get away with it or not is a different matter...

You'd have to check with your local MOT station..

Two problems I can see are:

1/ White/yellow plates have to be reflective.

2/ Plates should be "tamper-proof...

You can get away with vinyl plates on pre-73 black and silver/white plates...

i got away with it for ages on my mr2, i have seen plenty of number plates recently that are a printed reflective vinyl stuck on top of a non see through plastic plate. they are more tamperproof than plastic plates as the vinyl stretches and distorts when removed, as long as the spacing is correct and the plate is the legal size you should get away with it.

i think 3M make the reflective vinyl.

Ive got a mate who can make them so im guna go for it, it will be refective and correct lettering and spacing

as long as it's got a reflective background, is the standard font with the correct spacing, and the correct size, Vinyl, stick on number plates are 100% legal. There's nothing to say that a number plate MUST be acrylic... mine are pressed steel and are 100% legal on my Golf. 8)

only if the plates "were manufactured after...." and of course, your Corrado is older than that date so the plate was there before the new regulation... ;) :lol:

Where do you get pressed steel ones?

I have to say though, having seen nothing but Corrado front bumpers with a number plate in the middle I don't like them without...

I know what you mean... I prefer them with the plate in the middle too... 8)

Pressed steel plate came from a show about 10 years ago (just before the golf came off the road for the rebuild she's still waiting for... :oops: ) however I'm reasonably certain that http://www.theplateman.com will do 'em... I just got some pressed steel GB badged Euro plates for my 'ssat from them and they're excellent... 8)

They also appear to do UK font pressed metal plates. I would guess they're road legal in the UK, cos they're the correct font/colour etc. I guess they must be reflective too ..?

yup, they're reflective... the only thing that's slightly dubious about my 'ssat's plates are that they're in the Euro font, but the size, spacing, colours and country symbol are all correct, so I'm hoping that no-one will say anything... ;) :lol:

I got German Style pressed steel from Dubmeister, and touch wood have had no probs with the law. I think you're more likely to get stopped if the plates have dodgy spacing or are in italic. So long as the plate is clear to read and properly spaced their prob not going to draw much unwanted attention.

Are stick-on number plates legal?

No, number plates must meet the British Standard requirements and we are not aware of any self-adhesive number plates that are able to meet these requirements.