Sign in to follow this  
Kaktus

VR6 Into 16v.

Hi guys.

I need a ruff idea of what I will need to get the 12V VR6 engine in the bay of the 16v.

What I can think of is the following. Please add if i missed a couple of things.

1. Engine

2. Tranny

3. Ecu + wiring

4. Crossmember? or not?

5. CV"S + hubs? or not?

6 vr6 bonnet...bleh...

7. Engine mountings? Which ones?

Please add to the list guys, this is quite urgent as the guy i can buy the stuff from won't wait for me forever. :(

:(

To be honest pal, given the amount of work involved and cost of all the parts you'll need to change/up rate, why not just buy a Corrado VR6?

Do we take it you already have an VR6 engine? If not, why not consider going the whole hog and get either a 24v or a 3.2 engine? They are far more tuneable.

Just a thought. In answer to your question, I can't help much really. Although I reckon you've covered most things. I'd definitley do brakes though. Extra weight and more power of VR=higher speeds and longer stopping distances. 16v stoppers won't be up to it. as you are going to be putting 5 stud hubs on, go for 288mm brakes and callipers from a late VR6 Golf or Passat.

you technically dont have to move to the wide track setup. and the early bonnet will fit - just it makes things very tight. theres an argument you'd sacrifice handling sticking with narrow track due to the extra 30kg of the vr lump - but not sure whether the dfference would be major after having good dampers/springs, new bushes and arbs/struts - sure someone here can chip in! regardless, moving to wide track is not cheap - if so, you need hubs/carriers/wheels/driveshafts/rack+rods/brakes/rear axle in addition to the already necessary front cross member, engine mounts (I think youd need all 3). i dont think you need to replace the subframe or front wings. and using a schimmel log gets around changing your bonnet. theres probably other stuff but thats what i've picked up with some reading in the past

Thanks for the wuick replies guys.

I will keep everything in mind what you guys said. It might be better to buy a VR6 donor, but that's quite a different price tag as to what i can get the stuff for. Anyhow i will do some more research to whatever i might need. Since i'm still not sure about the rear subframe, steering rack and cv's....etc etc etc..

If i can use my current cv's steering rack etc. it will be more than worth upgrading.

And don't worry about the brakes and suspension, as this is not an area I skimp on.

Thanks mates.

welcome - as i said - dont have a huge amount of info on this work - but it has been done. Do a search for C. Will Corrado G60 2's members thread and read the content - he's done this conversion from g60 to supercharged VR and is pretty pleased with the work. he also stuck with narrow track so kept his original rack, hubs etc etc.

would personally be interesred to know any opinions on keeping the narrow track after fitting a vr engine...

and good luck - keep us up to date on what you end up doing...