Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

Fixed Steering Column Question ?

a few people have swapped fixed columns instead of adjustable ones, there's only the two corrado parts across all cars AFAIK and the fixed one is lighter and more importantly has less moving parts and is less prone to play.

Yes then - there is only one part number for the fixed column so it will fit (it's the UJ's that convert to the different number of splines on the various racks)

You will need the steering lock from the other car or a new one too - good time to change ignition switch also...

Yes I junked the adjustable column on mine and fitted the fixed one.

I much prefer it. Feel has improved and any trace of slack has been totally removed and come on VW, £550+VAT for a replacement adjustable column compared to £100 for all the parts to go fixed?!!

If you look in the steering thread, you'll see the details and why the adjustable ones go wrong.

The position of the fixed column is slightly lower than the middle adjustment of the adjustable column, but the fixed one can be shimmed to what ever position you like, within reason.

Cheers guys, looks like Ill be fitting a fixed one when I get round to fitting Eibach ARBs and re-con rack later this year.

I dont suppose its £100 for new parts is it kev ?

Do the Eibach ARBs first!! Try the rear on it's own first though. If it's too over steery for you (very quick turn-in), fit the front one aswell and the understeer bias will return.

I can't remember off hand how much all the fixed column parts were, but they were surprisingly cheap. For example, the plastic cowling to cover the column was £14 for both halves!!!! And they're twice as strong as the flimsy adjustable covers.

The mechanical parts were about £95 in total, or something like that.....

Someone had done a thread on how they used a Corrado cloumn tube and a polo coloumn to make a fixed full steering colunm. I am trying to find it, but finding it hard, can anyone help? :?

Cheers, I find the search feature not as good as it used to be, but that could just be me :?

Im going to be going fixed very soon so that will come in very handy :D