Sign in to follow this  
Kaktus

Getting my head flowed. Question or two.

Hi guys

I'm getting my head flowed next week. Just need a few pointers.

The guy that does it says they are only going to polish the exhaust ports, but the intake ports will be flowed and polished. Does this sound right to you guys?

How many bhp increase can i expect?

Mods done so far; drilled airbox, freeflow exhaust but with standard header, and which seems to be an exhaust cam in place of the intake cam.

I checked the cams for part numbers, but all i can come up with, is a 2d on the exhaust cam, and a 2e on the inlet cam. Anybody know what duration these cams are? Are they the popular kr cams?

The car has a 1.8 kr bottom end, with a 2.0L 051 103 373 head.

Also what is the highest lift billit cams that will work on the standard valves?

Happy Dubbin

Hugo

Pretty much all of the gain on the valver heads is on the inlet side, so that sounds about right, expect 10-15bhp from a reasonable job, but that will be at the top end. I had my lower half of the inlet manifold done with the head too.

It gets confusing power wise though, as a good set up of a standard car can gain quite a bit of power over a badly tuned one and often the drivetrain losses on a rolling road are on the high side, it's often the case that the new head and tune-up are done at the same time so it's difficult to say whether all of the gain is down to the head work.

Rough guide is if it feels slightly better on the road it's probably gained over 5 bhp, if it really feels much better you've gained over 10bhp probably over 15. What you will notice is that from 4000 revs and above a flowed head makes the 16v feel really strong, a higher lift cam will also benefit from headwork although I find the standard KR a good compromise on low end torque and top end pull, which it does smoothly and strongly to the red line with the head work.

If someone tells you that a standard 16v engine made over 25bhp from just a port and polish they're talking twaddle :lol:

Other benefits to a port and polish are slightly better fuel economy and less prone to pinking.

Hi David

Thanks for the input. The guy who is doing the head job said that my car's bhp will increse from 136bhp, (standard form) to 150bhp, with just the head being flowed by him.

Which sounds like what you mentioned aswell.

The last time the car did a dyno run she made 74kw ATW (on a very stingy dyno, rather this than a dyno that inflates the figures). Which is around 100kw ATF? Which in turn means that she pushed out about 136bhp ATF. iT seems she still pushed what she did when standard, although i must say at that time the exhaust has not been fitted yet.

Also this was at sea level, at the moment i'm 1000m above sea level so that will play a role aswell, and ofcause dyno's difer......

When My Car was a Valver, I had the head Done, Schrick 260 Cams, 50mm Inlet, 4-Branch and a drilled Airbox! Had mine RR'd at 167Bhp!

The cams made it too top endy though, revved like a bastard though :) If I was to do it again I'd stick with the std cams!

Just my 2p worth

Hi Steve.

I think i'll stay with the standard cams for now. If i do decide to get cams it will be no less than a 268/276 combo. :twisted:

What gain is there by match porting the intake to the head? Worth spending money on it? :twisted:

Hi guys

Im new to the site and hope some of ou clued up peeps can help. I have a 1.8 16v corrado and have changed the bottom part of the airfilter to a bolt on pipercross one and put a scorpion dtm exhaust from middle box back. I found I was having probs with the runnig and changed the timing bels and tensioner on it then had it put on a rolling road, to my shock I was told it was only producing 80bhp WHAT A JOKE HA! the tunned it up looked a the timin and pushed it up to 130 still nothing compared to what I have been reading on the site.

I have now purchased a polished inlet manifold on ebay wiht the throtttle body on it but its a 42mm from a golf. Im no sure of the standard size on a 91plate corrado ANY ONE KNOW? Would it be better to leave my existing one on ? Would it affect performance if I were to change it?

Please can someone advise me as I am really stuck as to what to do

cheers

Hak

Hi guys

Im new to the site and hope some of ou clued up peeps can help. I have a 1.8 16v corrado and have changed the bottom part of the airfilter to a bolt on pipercross one and put a scorpion dtm exhaust from middle box back. I found I was having probs with the runnig and changed the timing bels and tensioner on it then had it put on a rolling road, to my shock I was told it was only producing 80bhp WHAT A JOKE HA! the tunned it up looked a the timin and pushed it up to 130 still nothing compared to what I have been reading on the site.

I have now purchased a polished inlet manifold on ebay wiht the throtttle body on it but its a 42mm from a golf. Im no sure of the standard size on a 91plate corrado ANY ONE KNOW? Would it be better to leave my existing one on ? Would it affect performance if I were to change it?

Please can someone advise me as I am really stuck as to what to do

cheers

Hak

My valver 91 has 42mm inlet its standard,mite b diff wid the 2litre rads?,