Sign in to follow this  
chaz

For the sake of my poor toes... argy with a clutch peddle

Hi there,

The clutch peddle has been sticking recently and I'm quickly becoming an expert at 'toeing' it back up. It does come back up okay (when I can get my boot under it!). The clutch itself seems perfectly fine - no burning or slipping when held on hills, etc.

So would this just be the master cylinder, do you think (or maybe the slave). I don't want to get stuck with a bill for a new clutch from a garage trying to tell me that it must be the clutch when it isn't.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Welcome - If there are no signs of a leak on top of the gearbox and the slave is original then I would change that first...

I would try and get it sorted ASAP as it will only get worse and then you risk damaging the clutch fork trying to change gear...

Ha ha, thanks. See, that's what kind of state it's got me in, I can't even spell any more. Or at least using the wrong 'peddle'.

Welcome - If there are no signs of a leak on top of the gearbox and the slave is original then I would change that first...

I would try and get it sorted ASAP as it will only get worse and then you risk damaging the clutch fork trying to change gear...

Okay, thanks for that. Would you definitely say 'slave' first '? - cos the only advice I've had already went towards it more likely being the master cylinder.

cheers

Yeah - if you can't see any signs of a leak then the slave will be leaking internally into the gearbox - the original ones are metal sleeved inside and this rots - especially if the fluid is not changed reguarly - a common problem on MK3 Golfs and Corrado's

If it is the MC then you will want a new slave anyway as when they go they put more strain on the slave and this will fail shortly after anyways...

The other thing it could be is a leak in the flexi pipe leading to the slave - but again, you would see this...

Slave is cheap from ECP / GSF - just make sure it's made by either ATE or FAG, worth getting an eezibleed kit also if your changing it yourself...

Many thanks for that. No DIY for me I'm afraid. I'll have to take it to a garage to have it done. Which means at least I don't have to ring up GSF to ask for a Fag slave, though...

You might also want to check your brake fluid .. if it's not low, it's not leaking and your master cylinder is likely to be fubar.

Which means at least I don't have to ring up GSF to ask for a Fag slave, though...

:lol:

quality! :)

Which means at least I don't have to ring up GSF to ask for a Fag slave, though...

:lol:

quality! :)

edit: oh noes -

Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: 451 Temporary local problem - please try later

DEBUG MODE

Line : 170

File : smtp.php

I don't have to ring up GSF to ask for a Fag slave, though...

LOL - no I think you should...

Hahah. I have rung them for a price - 76 quid master cyl & 40 for slave - but I chickened out and went for the easier 'What make is it?' route. And the guy took care to say Eff Ay Gee rather than 'FAG'. I don't remember them doing that with BOSCH

So can we get this straight for an idiot - the least it could be is that the flexi pipe is leaking, and the worst is that I need to replace both master and slave cylinders? (like I said, clutch not slipping so sure it's not that).

Would you replace both master and slave anyway? (Christ, I've just read that back... this sounds like a S&M workshop - and I haven't even got into the nipple bleed...)

I had a similar problem to this a couple of months back. When I had a look into it, it was due to a piece of plastic trim in the footwell that was stopping the pedal returning.

When you put the clutch down is there a clicking sound from the footwell?!?

Worth a try first to make sure it's not something simple.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think it's a bit more than that. I now have to toe it up practically every time I'm going from 1st up, and it clunks up rather rises as it should...

ive got an exact same problem!! this cars driving me mad.

ive just replaced the slave, and the rubber pipe that attaches to it with genuine VW parts and its exactly the same!!

its a wierd thing where if i just rest my foot on the clutch it starts to sink to the floor and wont return unless i "toe" it up.

also as im finding the biting point it gets lower and lower towards the floor and then i cant get it out of gear and stall the car its sooo annoying!!

what do i change now? this cars pissing me right off

Blackcorrado - I think you either have a fluid leak or air in the system...

The master cylinder might have dies as a result of the slave being faulty as it will put more strain on the other component.