Sign in to follow this  
CorradoVR6-Turbo

Cross Drilled Discs

Great for the bling factor but provides no performance benefit whatsoever and can cause stress cracks around the holes leading to eventual total brake failure under heavy braking... so check them often and replace when they reach the wear limit mmmkay? Safety first and all that :)

Skye

I thought the holes on vented disks were supposed to dissipate the heat better, more surface area for air to cool etc. That's a performance benefit to reduce brake fade isn't it? Don't think I would be brave enough to DIY it though.

are they DIY???

you've done a good job if they are.

But as said above, watch the cracking

Thera

I spoke to James about this as i thought they looked too good to be DIY but they are!

Spoier, you have missed an 'L' out of your name by the looks of it!

Don't worry about cracks around the holes as the disks have been professionally heat treated with a hot spoon and this technique is proven to be fool proof!

Nice job James!

Have you checked the welds on your manifold lately? LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

Chris

LoL nice one Chris :lol:

spoier

"provides no performance benefit whatsoever" :?

Sorry mate but they work !! I don't suffer any Brake Fade ,blue discs ,warped discs ect.

This has been done to all my cars and I will outbrake anybody with standard setup just for a few holes !! Its worth the effort :twisted:

P.S I have never suffered any cracking distortion ect. :shock:

looks very nice. ive heard of people DIYing this job... but those results look better than others i've seen.

i have aftermarket drilled disks on my G60.. been on them 2yrs since i bought the car. they could be replaced now, but they've held up a LONG time. no warping/cracking and they don't seem to fade at all.

3 hours???

thats far quicker than i'd have thought, but TBH I didn't believe they were DIY, you've done an excellent job mate :D

Thera

thought the holes on vented disks were supposed to dissipate the heat better, more surface area for air to cool etc. That's a performance benefit to reduce brake fade isn't it? Don't think I would be brave enough to DIY it though.

You have to remember tho, that there is now less surface area on the discs themselves so they will get hotter, It just depends if the cooling outways this to make it worthwhile...

My preference would be grooved but thats just my opinion, they do look stunning tho - great job!

You have to remember tho, that there is now less surface area on the discs themselves so they will get hotter, It just depends if the cooling outways this to make it worthwhile...

My preference would be grooved but thats just my opinion, they do look stunning tho - great job!

That is very true Mr Charged as the brake disc is effectively a big heatsink, but Porsche and BMW don't seem to have a problem with drilled discs though, mind you they are 33mm+ thick at the front :shock:

Grooved discs also reduce effective area and are more prone to cracking, but these days the grooves are radius'd and rarely lead to cracking, unless severely abused.

I like my groovies as they just don't seem to fade and they deglaze the pads too, they're just a tad noisy though, which is the only negative!

Kev