Sign in to follow this  
mk1g60

bottom end rebuild

hi, as some of you may know i have a g60 rado with a bottom end knock, ive tried selling it as-is with no joy so im just wondering what you lot think it would cost to make her run sweet again? as the mk2 golf im running around in at the mo is boring me to tears.

cheers, karl.

its prob just the "smaller" big ends that are knocking... these are the weak point on the G60 block.. swap them over with some MK3 Golf Tdi shells..

Relatively easy to do aswell.

Not sure on the part no. for these.. i am sure someone will jump in and answer all...lol

yeah i might just try doing the shells first and hope for the best, as you said , its an easy enough job to do, few hours ish, but if its scored the crank im going to be looking at a big bill and was just wondering what to expect?

any ideas?

This is a job you can do on axle stands on the drive.

Drop the sump off, after draining the oil obviously, and you can get access to the bottom end no problems, should really take no more than a weekend to do at most.

if it has scored the crank then it can be reground and used with oversize bearings. wouldnt cost alot to regrind the crank and the bearings will be the saqme price as normal bearings.

if the main bearings have gone then it is a bit more of a job to do, i.e gearbox off, cambelt off, crank out. same sort of situation as with the big ends, if the bearings are shot then replace them (about 40 quid for good bearings, VW are more though) and job done. crank scored, get another crank (KR is the same) or reground.

i would replace the oil pump 2 (130 VAG) and all the seals.

prob gonna cost 200 quid in parts if u do that. labour depends on if u do it.

hope that helps

cheers for the replys. this is not something id fancy attempting myself, to be honest id rather pay someone to do the shells as the most ive done on this engine is oil seals and routine servicing

so its going to be around £200 im materials (in guessing a KR is a 16v for the crank) and worse case scenario about £500 labour, does this sound about right?

sorry for all the questions but as you can probably tell im an engine building newbie. cheers, karl.

lemme think...

$550 for pistons

$350 for rods

so about uh... £450 for new forged rods and pistons... and if you can get away with it keep your factory crank... the new pistons come with rings... you will still need crank and rod bearings as well as wrist pins... so maybe throw in another £100

say £550 then if you're good assemble it yourself, or have shop do it... i think though your best bet would be the parts from here in the USA... it seems like alot of things in the UK cost more...

i would say you are about correct with those prices. maybe add a touch more onto the parts price. it all depends on how far you want to go.

does the exhange bottom end come fully assembled?

in my opinion i would:

take the bottom end out, replace the main bearings, piston rings, big end bearings, oil pump and all the seals. to do this i would bank on spending about 400 quids worth of bits (inc new head gasket and odds and sods)

i could do the work myself, and i think it would take me 35 hours to do the work. garage would probably be quicker.

you could replace fewer parts, at a smaller cost and not remove the engine. im jsut one of those people that hate doing things twice, so would rather spend a bit more and just do it once!