Sign in to follow this  
J-Dub

info please

Hi,

i'm thinking of buying a VR6 and was wondering if people could maybe enlighten me of how expensive they are to run, keep in good nick etc. i'm not the richess person in the world so maybe thinking that a 16v or something would be cheaper?

any info would be great thanks

Jim

yes i printed it off this morning funnily enough. thanks. i was hoping more on first hand costings of owning one of these beauty's.

Hi J-Dub, I've relatively recently bought a VR6 and found it to be pretty cheap to run, these things are all relative though :wink: . I had a 98 323 touring and compared to that the costs are about the same [fuel, parts etc] but if you are mechanically minded a VR6 is MUCH easier to work on and therefore cheaper. You also have the benefit of a substantial fanbase with friendly folk on forums like this offering help and advice. I'm sure this will upset some members here but I found the 16v didn't really meet my expectations of a Corrado

Anyway, I have never regretted my purchase and would recommend to you to GET ONE! Make sure it has a full history or at least a wad of reciepts, the rest is all on Wiki [rear axle bushes, timing chain & tensioner etc]

Hope it helps

Go on you know you want to.......

Insurance would be your main worry at 22.

there about a thousand threads on this subject though, 1 or 2 from as recently as last week (fuel consumption etc)

wheres the G60 support 8) its a worthy alternative, lower insurance group by one i think, easier tuning options, and if you mod it, chip, pulley etc youll be looking at vr power anyway! possibly more :wink: mine should be just above the 200 brake mark if your looking for power

I wouldnt disregard one if a good example came along! that vr sound is gorgeous tho but i love the charger whine just as much, my advice is to just go and drive a few and see what takes your fancy :)

since buying mine, i've averaged about £230 per month on repairs, £50-60 per week on fuel

i've only had it 7months, but have found alot of stuff like bearing, brakes and just general stuff is needing replacing now its done 140,000 miles

Deffo not a cheap car to own, from my experience's, i could of spent my money on something newer/less miles etc, but it wouldn't be a corrado then :D

yeah its all relative, don't expect to get one and not spend something on it on an monthly basis, they're ageing cars now and its unlikely you'll find one that needs nothing at all doing within the next 12 months.

valvers are always cheaper to run (in terms of the engine) than vr's and g60's since they're mechanically very similar to the mk2 golf which every mechanic should know how to work on and parts are fairly well availible. Otherwise corrado specific parts (panels etc) can be expensive as there's not many of them about to get second hand bits off and the dealers charge fortunes.

compared to something like a focus or mk4 golf they're expensive to run, compared to a roller, classic porsche or the titanic, they're cheap as anything :lol:

All Corrados are chuffin' expensive to insure for what they are. Even the bogo basic 1.8 valver is in something stupid like group 16. The only C that warrants its insurance group is the VR coz they're the only ones that are actually fast.

I'd defo get quotes before purchasing j-dub.

Nah it isnt im 20 and got a vr6 AND im supercharging it :D

so Insurance isn't going to be his biggest outlay a year?

you've gotta be talking near on a grand (if not more) for full comp, 3rd party isn't worse touching imo.

can't see how that isn't the main concern really...

thanks for all the posts guys. :) i have already done some insurance research and i've been quoted with direct line of about £500 fully comp for the VR6 i'm looking at. i didn't think that was that bad to be honest.

i guess its the "keeping it running" cost that'll hurt my very thin wallet.

my problem is that i really really want to have one.

a friend was telling me about that cat converters on them, and that changing one is quite a costly procedure to do? what sort of other things are the most costly. i apologise if my questions might sound dumb, but my technical knowledge of cars is quite limited.

Jim

Insurance sounds ok, I'm paying £599 with Brentacre though that's with all the mods covered - make sure any mods are covered, you don't want have them refuse to payout in the event of disaster! I think so long as you know what you're getting into you should be ok, C's are all quite old now, and many (including mine) are high milage, so a lot of parts are reaching the end of their life and need replacing (e.g. suspension bushes, brake pipes etc.) The expense comes mainly from the labour involved, so the more you can do yourself the better. Bear in mind as well that insurers will require a Cat 1 alarm/immobiliser, so that's another £200-300 to budget if it hasn't already got one, or has one that's so old they won't approve it anymore.

thanks for all the posts guys. :) i have already done some insurance research and i've been quoted with direct line of about £500 fully comp for the VR6 i'm looking at. i didn't think that was that bad to be honest.

i guess its the "keeping it running" cost that'll hurt my very thin wallet.

my problem is that i really really want to have one.

a friend was telling me about that cat converters on them, and that changing one is quite a costly procedure to do? what sort of other things are the most costly. i apologise if my questions might sound dumb, but my technical knowledge of cars is quite limited.

Jim

buy one thats had the major stuff done...ive had mine a year and its cost me £250 for heater control, £160 for service and tune, £1.50 for a pack of fuses.

£30 a week on fuel...

that aint bad in my book!!!.