Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Few MPG Ques

I've recently replaced some HT leads (cheap GSF) with some Magnacor ones and also replaced the air filter with a pipercross panel filter.

No other changes made.

Since then (and I'm not complaining!) I've seen my average MPG go up by about 3-4 to 28.5MPG.

I normally get around 24MPG, mainly A Road and town driving, proven over several thousand miles. The last 500 I've got the higher miles on the same routes/style etc of driving.

Could getting better HT leads improve MPG? Or perhaps the panel filter?

2nd Ques -

If your sat on a M-Way at 70MPH and obviously the spoiler is up, what sort of MPG increase do you think you would get if the spoiler was down? I'm assuming that the extra drag would decrease MPG, just unsure as to by how much. 0.5? 3-4?

Any ideas? Just curious!

Cheers!

Andy

The MPG change could just be because of the unseasonably clement weather ...

But yes, the leads could have helped.

I don't know how much extra drag the spoiler costs you. But it's probably not as much as having the windows down or the roof open ..

Not tight, just curious!

I've heard a few peeps on ED38 with the 1.8T saying they got better MPG after changing HT leads.

Can cheap and/or malfunctioning leads cause a loss of MPG? Even with an engine that appears to drive with no probs?

(Also seems to pull a little better through the whole rev range now but I poss put that down to the air filter?

Most engine components that will improve efficiency will give you some improvement in MPG.

However my VR has gone from averaging about 28-29 on the run to work to 30-31, I have done nothing to it and the drive is always quiet so I have very few external factors to muck it up.