Sign in to follow this  
Chris Langdon

Advice on fitting centre console gauges!!!

Hi is there a thread on here telling or showing you how to fit the centre console gauges (the later type) a bit like a step by step thing and the parts you need to do the job properly!! I have brought the gauges from VAG parts.com so it comes with the sender. i have looked in the knowledge base and done loads of searches on the forum and cant find it. is there one and who wrote it?

Also im looking for old video footage of tiff needel driving a storm back to german has anybody got this they would send me please

any help i would be most gratful

cheers

Chris L

Hi Chris,

I don't think anyone has ever posted on how to wire it up. I will have a look at the back of mine and see if I can give you a description - should be able to work it out (but bear in mind I fitted this about 5 years ago).

Bill

P.S. I know you were after a really nice example of a VR - what did you get in the end - post up a pic if you have one.

When i had mine done not long ago there was limited information on here.

I know there are 4 connections on the rear of the unit, one for the voltage, one for the oil pressure, one for the illumination and the other an earth (i assume) but i dont know the order..

You could get in touch with JIMMI as he did mine succesfully...

Good find xbones.

All the info is in that thread, I'll just add a couple of things.

To connect from the guage to the glove box light crimp a piggy back terminal onto the wire from the guage then simply remove the existing terminal from the glove box light, connect the piggy back terminal to it and then put the original glove box terminal onto the piggy back terminal.

To connect the sender which has binding post terminals, crimp a ring terminal onto the sender wire from the guage and then make up a small loom with a female spade one end and a ring terminal the other. Connect the ring terminal to the sender and the female spade to the original connector with the blue/grey wire which retains the original wiring intact.

P.S. I know you were after a really nice example of a VR - what did you get in the end - post up a pic if you have one.

Ignore that Chris - confused you with Tony Langdon!

Thats alright mate, yeah im the better looking one!!! He's my dad by the way!! I brought mine two months ago there some pics in general chat i posted them @ the start of this week (its under hello from new member). I made the mistake of letting him drive it and then he wanted one. But in the end he has settled for a Audi A3 1.8T!!!!

Cheers guys i will let u know how i get on thanks again i guess its my round :lol:

Chris Langdon

Feel free to accumulate it all into one forum post and I'll shove it in the wiki for you :)

Feel free to accumulate it all into one forum post and I'll shove it in the wiki for you

Is that some sort of euphemism?

Would do if I knew what you meant Lol!

If you want to put all the info on how to fit the gauge pods into a single post then I'll put it into the knowledge base wiki :)

To Fit the gauge pod and get it working correctly you will also require a T-piece and single pole 0-10 bar sender or for the method used here a 0-10 bar dual pole sender (available from Merlin Motorsport based at Castle Combe).

On the rear of the gauge are 4 terminals marked as follows from top to bottom and connect as shown:

GDruck To Sender

KL15+12v To Switched Live

KL31 To Earth

KL58+BEL To Illumination

Electrical Parts Needed

Buy 4 crimp terminals to fit the connections on the gauge (These are small like the ones used for speakers), 1 blue piggy-back crimp terminals, 2 blue ring crimp terminals and 1 blue female and 1 male crimp terminals, a scotchlok connector and some suitable wire (1.5mm should be ok). Heatshrink can be used if required to insulate and tidy things up.

Connecting Sender

Crimp the correct size terminal for the gauge to one end of a length of wire (Connect this to the gauge) which will go through into the engine compartment via a grommet on the firewall in the passenger footwell behind the carpet and insulation (Easier to remove the under dash panel for this). Run the wire alongside the existing wiring on the passenger side inner wing then across to the oil filter housing sited on the front of the engine in the middle just above the sump and then crimp a ring terminal on to the end. Then take a piece of wire about 3" long and crimp a ring terminal to one end and a male spade to the other.

In the picture remove the connector with the blue wire which is the right hand one as you look from the front of the engine, then remove the sender and screw the 0-10 bar dual pole sender into the housing.

Connect the ring terminal on the wire which goes to the gauge to one terminal on the sender (No. 2 in the pic) and then connect the ring terminal on the 3" wire (No. 3 in the pic) to the other terminal on the sender, and the male crimp terminal to the original blue sender connector (No. 1 in the pic)

Connecting Switched Live to Glove Box Light

Crimp the gauge size terminal to the end of a piece of wire, connect this to the gauge and then run the other end of the wire along above the glove box and pull it through the aperture where the glove box light fits. Crimp a piggy back terminal to this wire, then remove the original white plastic plug (No. 2 in the pic) from the glove box light. Push the piggy-back terminal (No. 1 in the pic)onto the connector that the white plug was removed from and then fit the white plug to the spare terminal on the piggy-back one.

Connecting Earth

Crimp the correct size terminal for the gauge to a piece of wire and fit to the gauge. Remove the driver's side lower panel and the fusebox cover, then run the other end of this wire over to the fusebox. If you look above the fusebox to the right you should see the metal earth plate with several spare male spade terminals. Crimp a female terminal to the wire and push this onto one of these spare terminals.

Connecting illumination

Crimp the correct size terminal for the gauge to a piece of wire and fit to the gauge. Remove the ashtray and cigarette lighter trim carefully and then use the scotchlok connector to splice the other end of the wire into the blue/grey wire in the cigarette lighter loom.

Finally

Recheck all connections, test operation of guage pod then fit the pod into the binnacle.