Sign in to follow this  
corozin

H+R RSS Club Sport Coilovers

H&R now seem to be doing quite a varied range of different coilover kits. The most extreme of these seem to be the track biased RSS Club Sport line, which have former setup for track based work than the normal Coilover & PCS Coiilover ranges.

I'm looking to stiffen the handling at the front of my car quite a bit, to really reduce dive/squirm under braking, and reduce the inertia movement forward in these circumstances. However the Club Sports are a load of money so I can't afford to experiment to find out they're no good!

Does anyone out here have experience running the HSS Club Sport kit on thier VR6 that they could share? What's the range of damping adjustment like? Are they bound/rebound adjustable? Are they great on track but awful on the public road?

Questions, questions, questions... can anyone share any answers ?

TIA,

John

Double-6s is running them and likes them. Says they're a tad hard, but hasn't tried them on the track yet AFAIK. I think they just have rebound adjustment as they're H&R's own version of the PSS9.

A good alternative is the KW Variant 3 race spec. They have *independantly* adjustable compression and rebound, which is perfect for track setups. That is quite rare in a lot of coilovers, except Leda and their 3 ways, but not many folk have £3,5K for 3 way Ledas....or Protechs or who ever. No warranty on the KWs as they're race spec.

What you got now? You could just up the spring rates? IIRC, the Clubsport has 600 lb/in front springs and 450ish lb/in rears. Regular H&R coils have 400 lb/in front springs and that is just about acceptable for road use, if a little choppy in the low speed primary ride.

Well I had Koni coilovers on my previous Corrado which were absolutely excellent for both road and track work. I don't know the numbers but subjectively they were noticeably a bit firmer than the equivalent (road) H&R coilovers.

The Nothelle comes with Nothelle's own spec springs with Bilstein dampers on the front and Koni adjustables at the back. That setup is a fair bit stiffer than a standard Corrado suspension and whilst it's a fabulous setup for road use (a lot better than OEM setup but with great small bump absorbsion) I've decided after a year and three trackdays that I want to upgrade it at the front.

The reason I've not immediately gone back to Koni is that I ran them very low indeed on my first car and I want to run the same ride height as I have now. The other consideration is that now I run R888's all the time I suspect that the Koni setup will suddenly become "soft" when subjected to really serious driving.

So - I'm on the lookout for a stiffer rating altogether.

I've spent a bit of time on the phone with a mate of mine in the VW supply business to see if H&R will even supply a set of front Clubsports (just front) to me. The back is not a problem & I don't want to change it right now.

I considered just getting stronger springs, but to be honest there's almost nothing out there for a Corrado that I'm aware of and the only way I'd be able to get what I want in terms of desired rate/height would be to get some specially made - so it's probably cheaper to buy 2x coilovers!

That said I appreciate your thoughts on this Kev... lots of "mulling over" still to be done but if my supplier can do me the right deal on a pair of Clubsports I think I am going to take the plunge on them. I'll pop a PM in the direction of Double-6s and discuss with him also - thanks

John

Thanks for the tip. That price at SRBPower looks very aggressive.

Muchos gracias :)

John

Kw have also launched a clubsport kit with 2 way adjustment and stailness bodies. well worth considering in your research.

I considered just getting stronger springs, but to be honest there's almost nothing out there for a Corrado

I think PI do a range of spring rates in standard McPherson shape and size? Otherwise yeah, if you get 2 1/4" coilovers, you can pic and choose any spring you like 8)

That said I appreciate your thoughts on this Kev... lots of "mulling over" still to be done but if my supplier can do me the right deal on a pair of Clubsports I think I am going to take the plunge on them. I'll pop a PM in the direction of Double-6s and discuss with him also - thanks

No worries, I'm a nightmare when it comes to suspension as I can never get it exactly how I want it. Trouble is, damper oil viscosity varies with ambient temp and workload, so it's all constantly changing.....usually for the worse! That's why I like the sound of Koni's FSD damper, finally a damper that constantly tunes itself.....but they're not available for older VWs :-(

I think 3 way dampers might be the only way to get it 100%.

Let us know how the clubsports work out because it's been 6 months since I last changed suspension, so by my usual low boredom threshold, I'm due another set :lol: At least they have Bilstein gas monotubes, which address some of the damper inconsistency problems.....

The RSS Clubsports have absolutely no damping adjustment whatsoever. They are fookin hard all the time.

If you want to stop movement at the front end, and completely eliminate dive under braking, then they're the fellas for you. The most rock solid body control i've ever experienced.

Stick with 15 inch wheels though if i were you mate - much better ride quality due to the nice squidy side walls.

Mine are pretty definately gonna be up for sale very soon if you're interested.

Me do velly good price for you iiingaleesh man :)

The RSS Clubsports have absolutely no damping adjustment whatsoever. They are fookin hard all the time.

You're kidding? No damper adjustment at all? That is absolutely ridiculous. Maybe I'm just getting old or something but surely the point to paying top whack for track spec suspension is that you can at least adjust the bloody dampers.

I've read up a spec-info on VWSpeed's website but I have to admit I missed that omission. That is ridiculous. That really is a shedload of money for kit with no adjustment...

This changes everything. I want "firm as hell" but it's got to be adjustable FFS. I'm on 17" because of big brakes, and have R888 fitted too so you're suggestion of sticking to 15" is a non-starter really.

Double=6 are you a VR6 or G60?. I thank you for telling me about this (forgot to PM you as I promised in an earlier thread). If you pull the kit off the car then drop me a PM as I may still be interested in doing a deal if I haven't bought anything but I think right now I may reconsider going back to Koni coilovers, which are something I have previous experience with.

Fuggit.

I'm so pished off I almost want to photoshop Fozzie Bear with a frown :(

VR mate. They always used to be adjustable, but the newest version isn't. Not a problem for me personally. The money is for quality not adjustment - they are the most serious looking dampers i've ever seen. Huuuuge pistons!

Definately pulling them off mate - and nothing else will be going on. Except maybe some bricks to hold the car up while i strip everything else off!! :)

Ok, when you know they're coming off the car drop me a line and we'll set up phone call to discuss what kind of deal might be there to be done.

Are you selling them because they were just far too hard for your liking? I can't lie that I'm disappointed like hell about the non-adjustment, but maybe a deal can be done. Perhaps before you tear the car down I could visit and sample the ride?

Maybe you'd consider a bit of p/x for my Nothelle suspension to put you back on the road? (test drive also available) which is a lot firmer than standard but not quite up to it for monster track use. Check my track pics at http://eventpictures.fotopic.net/p40656185.html to give you an idea how little the Nothelle kit leans - maybe some use to you?

No rush (seriously) on my side. I won't be changing them until after I get back from Le Mans.

When you tearing it apart? PM me a phone number and I'll call you later in the week