Sign in to follow this  
nickeboy

replacing sterring rack on mk3 anivisary

i know it is not a Corrado, but a friend of mine has a 16v aniversary golf mk3 p reg and the poor girls steering rack has gone, or so the garage says, it seems very heavy steering one way,

now i hope you corrado guys can help out a vw sister car,

does anyone know a good garage in the london/surrey area to do the job, and how much, VW want 800 quid!!,

and also is it a tricky job to do ourselfs, and how much??!!

thanks guys, and a big thanks from your little sister vw!!!!

nick

as far as doing the job yourself, it's not the easiest thing to do, I recently replaced both track rods on my rack and to do the rack I can't see any other way than dropping the whole subframe, you might get away with just lowering it still attached to the wishbones and hubs on the car to get enough clearance.

Ideally you need a proper garage two post ramp, to get celarance for everything and you'll need to support the engine as the rear engine and gearbox mount sit in the subframe.

The rack itself is just four 13mm bolts, but you've got the UJ to the steering column and hoses and unions to consider too.

It's not a five minute job even with all the kit, specified workshop times vary but anything up to four hours is allowed I think, depending on model.

all Corrado racks are basically the same setup as mk3 golf although the 4 cylinder Corrados have a slightly different subframe and longer track rods for the plus axle (5 stud hubs) like the Corrado VR6.

Not the most pleasant of jobs! As David says, subframe has to drop, but all you need to do is suspend the whole lot on the front bolts by a few threads, allowing you to swing the subframe back and forth as required. Sounds very dangerous, but it's been a tried and tested method for years ;-)

I would buy the rack and 2 new track rods and assemble the whole lot on the ground as 1 unit (as they do in the factory) and offer it up the subframe, it's a lot easier. Realigning the Steering column UJ onto the rack afterwards can be interesting excercise!

5 stud Golfs and Corrados use a ZF steering rack, 4 cyl cars use a different one. Make sure you get the correct one and yes, if it's turning-in easier in one direction than the other, the rack is most definitely shot. You might find the seal has gone on that side (usually always the passenger side - heavier steering on right turns) and peeling back the gaiter will confirm this, aswell as a drop in PAS oil level.

thanks guys as i thought not the best job,

how much are the parts do you think????

any more honest little garages in the london surrey area much appreciated!

thanks again

nick