Sign in to follow this  
TrentSC

Questions from a new Corrado owner

OK, I’ve just picked up my Corrado and it’s definitely going to need some work to get it into better condition. I paid next-to-nothing for it, so I’m very chuffed.

It’s a 1992 K-reg 2.0l 16v jobbie with a lot of miles on the clock and a complete engine rebuild last year. The body and engine seem to be in excellent condition while the interior needs a lot of attention: it’s not only very grubby and desperately in need of a few gallons of shampoo, but there are a few small scratches/mismatches to address. They’re mostly cosmetic, mind you. The engine sounds excellent, pulls sweetly and apart from a little juddering at low revs in first which is, I think, down tom y not getting the hang of the clutch, I’m delighted with it.

I do have some typical new-boy questions which I’d like to bung into the mix… I’ve done a few searches on the forum, and I know some issues (e.g. the sunroof) are discussed a lot, but I’d still be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction for the definitive answers. So, here’s the run-down of what I’ve spotted so far…

1. The sunroof’s knackered (well there’s a surprise!). The previous owner took the switch off to stop anyone playing with it, saying that it used to get jammed. Is there a link to a good thread on this excellent forum which talks about the steps needed to get it back in working order?

2. Lots of lights not working, so I’ve been shopping for bulbs. Now all I have to do is work out how to get to the laps in the front bumper.

3. The heating controls are a total disaster! The left dial (director) just spins of it’s own free will, the hot/cold dial doesn’t seem to make any difference – everything just comes out warm) and the 0-4 dial works fine. I think it’s a front panel issue rather than a bigger problem with the inner workings of the heating system, and I’ve got someone looking at it tomorrow.

4. The temperature warning light is flashing, and the temperature gauge doesn’t work. The seller said he’d had a minor problem elsewhere in the engine bay and his mechanic had forgotten to reconnect it after working around it, and the MLA is showing 96-115°, so I’m not overly concerned about that one for the moment. Or should I be?

5. Someone’s messed around with the steering wheel at some point and the horn is on a real hair trigger: you just have to breathe near it and it’ll go off. I’m getting that mechanic to check that out for me tomorrow too.

6. The immobiliser is some aftermarket job, I think. It’s on the front panel to the right of the steering wheel, and it has 3 diagonal contacts, with a small black plastic widget on the key ring about 2x1cm. The panel unit flashes until I hold the hand-held bit against it and do some serious wiggling (the unit, not me).

7. The Driver’s door handle doesn’t work. It lifts away from the door skin when you try it, and just doesn’t open the door, so I’m guessing I need a new one. And the inner door locking knob is missing. I’m not sure if this is connected or not.

8. The ABS light behaves exactly as it should and it passed its test fine (foot on brake pedal, engine on, feel slight pump and light goes off). However, if you slam on the anchors, the light comes on and stays on until the engine’s restarted.

Phew! I think that’s about it! That should certainly keep me busy, and I’m looking forward to some great driving.

Look forward to your comments/thoughts/insults.

Philip

Youve got some work to do here TrentSC, its all part of the fun.

1. Sunroof, put the switch in and see if it will still tilt, the slide is the normal feature to go wrong and there are loads of threads on here to help, have a search.

2.What lights are not working?

3. Again heater problems are common as mook, have a search for that, although the normal problem is to lose the speed function.

4. Id have the temp looked at, could be the sensor in the coolant reservoir is shot but i wouldnt risk it as it will lead to big probs.

7. Buy a door handle repair kit from dave16v on here for 15 quid and the hanle will be fine, the striker inside the handle has snapped, new handles are around 90 quid IIRC.

8. ABS light, get it vagcom'd for any faults..

Good luck and enjoy..

The sensor in the expansion tank for the coolant is simply two bare pins of metal, that completes a circuit through the liquid in the tank. Level warning light starts flashing once the water drops and the circuit is broken.

I'd be slightly worried about the lack of heat from the heaters...lack of coolant temp gauge and a flashing warning light though! :shock:

Coolant temp signal/sender is on the side of the head, just below the dizzy. It's a single pin plug that takes approx 1.5 seconds to re-connect.....so I cant see why any mechanic wouldn't bother!!

[Edit]Just noticed that you are only getting warm air from the heater, not just cold, not as bad so! Just check the plug at the top of the expansion tank, and the sender on the side of the head I mentioned :wink:

Hi Goldie,

The sunroof switch was physically removed and has vanished, so that's not an option I'm afraid.

Lights - one front parking light, one front fog and one rear fog. Mr Halford has done the honours, but I'm not sure how to get to the front fog light just yet.

Heater - I don't really have ANY functions apart from the speed! I'm getting someone to look at the heater, door handle and temp gauge tomorrow. If the handle's fixable, I'll certainly go for that over a replacement.

Sorry to sound stupid, but what's a vagcom?

Cheers.

sounds like you bought one with all the common probs, i spose thats ones way to make sure you don't encounter them :lol:

Welcome!

The MFA reading you mentioned in number 4 is for OIL temp not coolant, sounds like the sender on the head is knackered, should be an easy fix on that one.

To get into the fog lamps on the front, you need to prise the indicator lens out, insert a flat blade driver between the fog and the indicator, you'll feel the spring clip located on the wing side of the indicator, you need to kind of of lever it across and out towards you. With the indicator lens out, you'll see the fixing screw to remove the foglamp lens.

Hope this helps!

Enjoy!

The sunroof switch was physically removed and has vanished, so that's not an option I'm afraid.

I've got a spare one that should be the correct one for your car, let me know if you need it and it's yours.

Lights - one front parking light, one front fog and one rear fog. Mr Halford has done the honours, but I'm not sure how to get to the front fog light just yet..

You do know that Rado's only have one rear fog? This should be the Drivers side.. The other's not connected (think you need a LHD innder cluster to get two)...

You do know that Rado's only have one rear fog? This should be the Drivers side.. The other's not connected (think you need a LHD innder cluster to get two)...

News to me that one!! :oops:

Thought i needed a new bulb!!! :roll:

Buy a door handle repair kit from dave16v on here for 15 quid and the hanle will be fine, the striker inside the handle has snapped, new handles are around 90 quid IIRC.

I've PM'd him. Or at least I hope I have!

Yup the accountants at VW really got their bit in there...

IIRC the wiring's there so you just need to get a LHD inner cluster with the correct "Gubbins".... I know we don't see it when driving but looks "Cheap" to only have 1 fog light...

Yup the accountants at VW really got their bit in there...

IIRC the wiring's there so you just need to get a LHD inner cluster with the correct "Gubbins".... I know we don't see it when driving but looks "Cheap" to only have 1 fog light...

Single rear fog lights are actually commonplace in Germany, which is why the Corrado only has one working one.

But it's easily resolved if you want to spend 5 minutes doing the work.

1) Take a medium flathead screwdriver, undo (gently) the plastic trim bolts holding the plastic trim on the inside of the tailgate panel.

2) Locate the (left hand) foglight cluster and pop the unit out - it's only on clips.

3) The "non working" foglight is all there, but covered up by a plastic tab. Simply remove the tab and insert a bulb into the holder and you'll have both rear foglights running.

Easy peasy :)

Re getting the indicator light out to get to the fog.

You don't need to use a screwdriver, just push the edge of the indicator that is opposite from the fog inwards and it will dip in a bit, raising the edge by the fog so you can get fingers to it. Push the lense away from the fog which releases the spring clip on that edge and here you are.

Fog unit (the whole black plastic unit the indicator & fog sits in) is held in with 4 screws but I'm sure you can see them for yourself.

Sorry can't help with anything more technical!!!

Sorry to sound stupid, but what's a vagcom?

Dont apologise. Vagcom is the dealers diagnostic computer software that many people have managed to get a hold of.

If you lift the surround of the gearknob (the plastic with the Karman badge on) then you will see a port, that is where it is coneected to and it runs a program which diagnoses any senser faults including your ABS system..

Re getting the indicator light out to get to the fog.

You don't need to use a screwdriver, just push the edge of the indicator that is opposite from the fog inwards and it will dip in a bit, raising the edge by the fog so you can get fingers to it. Push the lense away from the fog which releases the spring clip on that edge and here you are.

Fog unit (the whole black plastic unit the indicator & fog sits in) is held in with 4 screws but I'm sure you can see them for yourself.

Sorry can't help with anything more technical!!!

I think we're talking about different ends of the car Judith!

Seriously though I recommend activating the second rear foglight if you havn't done it already - it certainly makes me feel safer when the thick sea-fogs come in over Bournemouth (which usually happens when I try thinking about something)

Hi Goldie,

Is the vagcom (sounds like a really revolting social disease) something that I should ideally go to a VW dealership for?

My local garage certainly doesn't have anything like that.

Cheers.

My local mechanic had a peek at mine this morning and reckons that it's the cogs behind the control wheels that are knackered, so if I can source a replacement front panel (with the cogs) I should be OK.

Hopefully!

so if I can source a replacement front panel (with the cogs) I should be OK.

Easier said than done mate! and if you can find one they're usually pretty pricey :(

so if I can source a replacement front panel (with the cogs) I should be OK.

Easier said than done mate! and if you can find one they're usually pretty pricey :(

know what you mean...had mine replaced cost £250!!!! and the new one is pretty crap too.

Is there anyway of just recycling the air or is it always using fresh?? outdoor air ?

I cant switch the incoming air off totallly at all?