Sign in to follow this  
MK1Campaign

Satin Silver VR6-Ex OSV-Steering/Suspension overhaul 16/04

Some sterling work going on there, your a brave man for going at what i regard (and others) to be one of the nicest VRs over the last few years..

I wish i could paint, it just looks expensive and id love to have the front end redone as you are on with..

Look forward to seeing the end results..

Sweet! When I saw baody repairs thought the worst!

Great attention to detail here as I've never seen these issues looking round it!

Looks to be going great... wish (ike Goldie) I could paint too so many niggles, dents, chips and bits to fix on mine...

Sweeeet ! Keeping the standard look with subtle changes, looks perfect.

What suspension are you running and whats the ride like ? height looks just right.

Sweeeet ! Keeping the standard look with subtle changes, looks perfect.

What suspension are you running and whats the ride like ? height looks just right.

It has FK Konigsport at the moment and the ride is very good. Im going to raise it a little when the works done as the fronts do catch under hard cornering. If your thinking of getting coilovers id recommend KW V1 or V2. I had a set on my old Golf and they were brilliant.

Have a few more updates today.

21022008033.jpg

In the booth coloured up but awaiting lacquer.

21022008037.jpg

Front bumper finished.

21022008038.jpg

Bonnet finished.

21022008035.jpg

Back on the Speedlines while I clean the RX's up properly.

21022008040.jpg

Painted the rear badge gloss black so it stands out a bit more.

Just need to fit it all back together and polish the newly painted panels. I will also be giving the car a full detail including wet sanding any panels to remove small imperfections. When all thats done our PDR guy owes me a favour so hes removing any minor dents. The MOT is due at the beginning of March and im hoping to get all the front suspension bushes, ball joints, drop links, engine/box mounts renewed when the car goes in for a new steering rack.

Looking good, when spraying the bonnet and bumper do you not need to blend in to the wings or is the colour match good? I've heard silvers a difficult colour to match up.

Looking good, when spraying the bonnet and bumper do you not need to blend in to the wings or is the colour match good? I've heard silvers a difficult colour to match up.

Yeah some colours do need blending.

I did spray test cards to every shade variant of satin silver and chose the best match to the wings.

cool, just noticed your changing your steering rack, where are you sourcing it from?

I recently did a suspension overhaual but i didnt do the rack and now its playing on my mind that i should

cool, just noticed your changing your steering rack, where are you sourcing it from?

I recently did a suspension overhaual but i didnt do the rack and now its playing on my mind that i should

If you phone GSF with the VW part number they can supply you one. Ive been told that the rack comes correct but with the wrong track rods. Vince at Stealth said they overcome this by gettting Lemforder track rods from Euro car parts.

wow awesome, i love the contrast of the black on lights and grill on the silver corrados :!

can't help but really like it on speedlines too 8)

wow awesome, i love the contrast of the black on lights and grill on the silver corrados :!

can't help but really like it on speedlines too 8)

Same here. Almost makes me want to put them back on.

Good work Ben, so pleased its in good hands. With being a body man I knew you'd get round to sorting out the odd bits that deserved your attention 8)

Good work Ben, so pleased its in good hands. With being a body man I knew you'd get round to sorting out the odd bits that deserved your attention 8)

Cheers Gareth. Isnt it about time you got yourself another one? 8)

Impressive work mate!

Have to ask - would you do foreigners for forum members on little jobs? I only ask because you're so local to me and i'm sort of worried about ever taking my car to a body shop I didn't know!

Impressive work mate!

Have to ask - would you do foreigners for forum members on little jobs? I only ask because you're so local to me and i'm sort of worried about ever taking my car to a body shop I didn't know!

I get asked this all time and im afraid the answers no. The company i work for wont let us as people have taken the pee in the past.

If you ever need any machine polishing doing i have my own rotary and full detailing kit so that wouldnt be a problem.

The paintwork and detailing is now complete. I have been finishing it for the last few days in between work. The car has been machine polished with Menzerna intensive and final finish polish. It was sealed with Blackfire wet diamond and waxed with Blackfire midnight sun ivory carnauba paste. The only job left is the removal of small dents by our pdr guy but that has to wait a few weeks until he is back.

Feb08013.jpg

New paint on bonnet with good colour match to wings.

Feb08006.jpg

Nearside with the sun bringing out the shine from the wax.

Feb08015.jpg

Back inside.

Feb08007.jpg

Gloss black badge.

Looking good, did you menzerna the whole car? i need to do mine again for the summer.

Looking good, did you menzerna the whole car? i need to do mine again for the summer.

Yeah did the whole car.

Used the intensive on a 3M compounding pad and final finish on a Meguiars finishing pad.