Sign in to follow this  
speno

vr6 engine

hi guys does anyone know what's up with my vr6

had a top end rebuild after xmas cos the head gasket went, only done 92k

new timing chains and pulleys also fitted

but sadly its still losing water, soo my garage checked it again no leaks on any pipes, they checked the gasses in the expantion tank and hey its the same prob soo they removed the head and pressure tested it again that is fine

soo is it my block what might be cracked or could it be something else

thanks guys

yeh they said the head was warped soo they skimmed the head and replaced all the gaskets, valves reground, headbolts and so forth

ok the guys are putting the head back on may be it could have been a fault in the head gasket

but eitherway im selling it as i never use it if the engine is still fecked how much do you guys recon its worth

its got full leather rs bumpers full stainleess exhaust ats wheels fsh 92k loads of t and t

Could possibly be a crack in the head or a faulty head gasket. Double check that the plastic water pipe that goes into the back of the water pump housing, and/or the thermostat housing for leaks.Also double check all coolant hoses especially the hose that goes into the bottom of the electric water pump. Also check for any cracks in the header tank itself and that the cap is still making a good seal.

I still have an unidentified leak and opinions have ranged from thermo housing to head gasket....

Been working away for car been left lying for a while....

M15 VW do you know where my leak likely to be coming from....thing is it doesnt seem to leak all the time but last couple of times I ran it, it seemed to be worse than previously.

If you looking underneath from the dead centre of the front end the leak seems to be coming down from there but in to maybe halfway back or thereabouts of the engine bay if that makes sense, be easier to see on a ramp I guess

Could be anything we said really.

just becasue the thermostat housing is new doesnt mean to say its not that.

I know someone who went through 3 new ones in a month.

Check that all the flanges on the housing are sealed corretly.

hi guys does anyone know what's up with my vr6

had a top end rebuild after xmas cos the head gasket went, only done 92k

new timing chains and pulleys also fitted

but sadly its still losing water, soo my garage checked it again no leaks on any pipes, they checked the gasses in the expantion tank and hey its the same prob soo they removed the head and pressure tested it again that is fine

soo is it my block what might be cracked or could it be something else

thanks guys

I'm not a guy btw

jeees louise does saying guys actually mean men tho lol have none of your friends said see ya later guys to a group of you in a bar,, anyways its deffo losing water not thro any of the pipes/ housing my mechanic did a gas check on the expantion tank and there were exhaust gases getting in there

thanks guys and girls and those folk who are yet to find out what they are..

Speno, does it lose water every time its ran and when it does lose water can you see where its coming from.

I find mine can sometimes hold out and have no water leaking for a while sometimes but seems now that when come back and park up and switch off its off like a tap sometimes.

Also have you ran yours from cold with the cap off, mine will spill over the expansion tank once reaching operating temp, some say this is sign of head gasket as it shouldnt do this, others say they will spill over regardless

It will always spill out over the expansion tank when up to operating temp, as it warms up the coolent expands.

Its suppsed to be kept under pressure by the cap as that prevents the coolent from boiling @ 100 degrees+

It will always spill out over the expansion tank when up to operating temp, as it warms up the coolent expands.

I dont know Dan, I'm a million miles from a mechanic but opinions seem to vary, I think if you run a search on here some say that it shouldn't spill over.

I'm with you though, I would have thought the same.

I'm not a guy btw

So you keep feckin telling us..... worry about something more important.

any need to be so rude?

jeees louise does saying guys actually mean men tho lol have none of your friends said see ya later guys to a group of you in a bar,, anyways its deffo losing water not thro any of the pipes/ housing my mechanic did a gas check on the expantion tank and there were exhaust gases getting in there

thanks guys and girls and those folk who are yet to find out what they are..

ok well I hope you get it sorted.

I'm not a guy btw

any need to be so rude?[/quote:a7e54]

he does have a point though, does he not? :wink:

I'm not a guy btw

any need to be so rude?[/quote:a7e54]

he does have a point though, does he not? :wink: