Sign in to follow this  
choumbie

Supercharger - Rebuild or Buy Used?

Im sure this question has been asked a ton of times on here...Im new to this site and im not quite sure how to search previous entries....just look at the current ones..so hopefully no one gets mad if i ask again..

My supercharger is out of my car....i took it apart and i found that the previous owner had snapped one of the spiral-y blades on the inside of it off...Ive looked around a bit at some prices for rebuilding etc...and ive looked on ebay at some that people are selling in working condition...

Would you suggest i get the charger rebuilt, or buy a new one? Is this part hard to replace? Costly? How much (in us $ if possible) would it cost to get a rebuild which makes atleast 15 psi?

If anyone has got their charger rebuilt...could you tell me where you got it done, how much, and what kind of boost it puts out? Thanks a ton.

-Corrado newbie.

I'd buy a used one that isn't broken and get it rebuilt. You're looking at a 4 figure sum for a new one from VW :(

For US costs, check out http://www.vortex.com and login to the Corrado forum but I think you guys pay around 300US$ for a rebuild.

As for raising boost level, you'll need to use a smaller pulley, 68mm seems to be a popular choice (I think the stock pulley is 73mm but the G60 gurus will correct me if I'm wrong).

To make the most of the extra boost, you'll need to chip the ECU aswell. There's also one or two other things you can aswell but the other chaps will point you in the right direction as I only have base level knowledge of G Laders.

Kev

i would also be careful about buying a charger from e.bay or somwhere like that beacuse you really want to be able to check the inside condition of the unit before you part with any money.... i have brought many from all over the world and i can honestlly say all the ones from ebay have been very expensive paper weights.

as far as rebuilds got $300 kev ? where's that from as i know that KK charges $1000 for a rebuild and then up to another $550 for additional works on the unit..

choumbie- you charger sounds beond repair from your description but there are good ones out there for sale !! for decent money. :lol:

15psi from the unit should be easy when using a smaller than stock pulley and good seals etc. you will need to sort the mapping to go with the new found boost and for this may i suggest speaking to Sam @ SNS they are on your side of the pond and are really at the forfront of g60 tuning over there...

ok i think thats the most i have ever written on here in one go almost a novel... :lol: i hope it helps you out a bit anyway and makes the great world of g60 ownership a happier one..

I'd buy a used one that isn't broken and get it rebuilt. You're looking at a 4 figure sum for a new one from VW :(

I dont think VW sell them anymore, I heard Jabba sport had "sourced" a few brand new units from germany but you never now if these rumours are true or not.

as far as rebuilds got $300 kev ? where's that from as i know that KK charges $1000 for a rebuild and then up to another $550 for additional works on the unit..

It was just one of the figures that cropped up on one of the vortex site threads. Thought it sounded a bit cheap but the US generally get car bits cheaper than we do, so didn't question it!

Kev

I bet VW Motorsport have still got a pile of them in a box labeled "Only for distribution when all existing G Laders are broken, and then charge double for them" :!:

Kev

I could be wrong, but i think the part thats broken on the charger is called a G foil? Is there any way to replace just that one part? or the piece its attached to? Would it be cheaper?

can you post some pics this will help u get an answer as i have never seen a g-foil ? i think you mean the displacer as this is the part inside that breaks...

When you open the charger up into the two halves....each half has that spiral piece in the middle that when you put the two halves together, they interlock.....One of the sides, the spiral blade piece snapped off...Thought maybe you could just get the piece that its attached to and keep the rest or something....

GPC over here have got some new chargers for sale,, but at £1250!!! :shock:

do they still have them in stock though :?: or is it just their advert thats never really been updated for a couple of years :?:

Yeah...thats what it looks like...One of those "displacers broke right off right where it attaches to the charger half....Is there any way to just buy that part of it instead of a whole other charger?

If i knew how to put pictures up in the message part like that.....ide try to do it...

What about the U.S.? What shops will rebuild them and how much does it usually run USD? What about a performance rebuild, what's it called stage 4? Sorry, I'm a Corrado newb too.

Stage 4 refers to a charger that has been worked to improve airflow through it.

Have a look at http://www.kompressor-kanada.ca for rebuilds. Or do a search on http://www.vwvortex.com. There is a sticky 'which rebuilder thread' in the G60 forum.

KK can do some repairs to the casings and maybe even the displacer. If yours is not repairable, I am sure they would have some spares, that would get you back on the road.

The main danger with buying 2ndhand, without evidence of a recent rebuild, is getting yourself another bad charger.

KK do an inspection service/tuneup. I would personally be reluctant to buy used without looking inside it myself (I have rebuilt a couple) or sending it off for an inspection by someone who knows them.

KK and other rebuilders do sell chargers and also they warrant them. It may cost more up front, but in the long run money well spent.

Oh and I have absolutely no connection with KK. I have always found the answers in the G60 forum, from David, to be very accurate and credible.

Gavin