Sign in to follow this  
Riley

Think ive sussed one issue on the G60

Does this sound right guys?

Ive been using the crank pully to set the ignition timing...but its been hard work because the mark on the pully is all over the place,jumping backwards and forwards all the time.

Earlier,i set the static timing using the cam and the flywheel,this put the mark ive been using on the crank pully well out...probably a tooth or there abouts...

So...Question is.

Was the reason for the jumping about through the ecu trying to adjust the timing or something? or would it not do this while setting the ign timing?

I can't check if its sorted as yet because im in the middle of fitting a water pump.

Cheers,Neil.

Just thought...

Is the mark jumping around because im holding rpm at 2.5k on a 68mm pully?

Just out of interest, when your setting the timing with a timing light - Are you unplugging the blue temp sensor on the flang at the front of teh engine??

Aye :D

Up to 80deg oil temp at least,without the fan running and bts unplugged.

Holding rpm at 2.5k,but the mark on the pully is jumping backwards and forwards...done a mates a bit back and that was super stable and smooth.

Haven't tried another,as this one is new and id had it on my mates afterwards and it was spot on :?

Im sure i read somewhere that if you try setting the ign timing while on boost (may be at 2.5k with 68mm pully?) then it will use a map on the chip altering the timing?

Sommet like that anyway :oops:

when i first had mine, i tried setting the timing and it was doing what you describe, jumping around all over the place, it was sorted after fitting a new set of decent spark plugs(instead of those crappy bosch 4 electrode ones), fixing a break in the lambda wiring and fitting a new blue temp sender, i'm not sure which of those sorted it but it was totally smooth afterwards, and still is with a 68mm pulley and SNS chip.

Cheers guys...

Im just about to pop out to the stealership and pick some plugs up! (68 quid i might add :shock: )

Also picking up water pump and oils/filters etc etc,will have another go at the timing and hopefully get it advertised.

Neil.

makes me wonder if dodgy leads could affect the signal for the timing light?

thing is if you set it up staticly it should run decent , just not spot on ...i cant see it causing random problems

New dizzy! :shock:

Ive swapped the leads over also...Ive just finished servicing it,and fitting the new water pump.Ran out of water up at the unit though :roll:

Will be going back up after hollyoaks :lol: to play with the timing.

Cheers guys,any other idea's for the mark jumping about are appreciated.

Neil.

Update:Not a good one as per usual!

Timing mark was still jumping all over the place...started talking to a m8 about the problem im having (had for over 12 months now :roll: ) and i started unwrapping the loom across the bulkhead to look for obvious damage...all looks really tidy.

After this...i double checked the ignition timing...but the mark was suddenly stable as stable can be! :? Perfectly still! and bang on 6deg at 2.5k rpm.

Anyway,revved it a few times and yep.Its still farting :mad:

Have you had a look at the crank pulley to see if the keyway on the crank is ok? Pulley might be moving around.

Riki

Riley - this is what mine does (but only sometimes and hot and cold)

I've no idea whats going on, replaced everything and cambelt has been off a few times and timing checked... also crank bolt replaced and checked, re-checked...

It's as if the intermediate shaft is broken but again, sometimes it's ok...

No one round here has a clue so i am going to ship it to G-werks as soon as I have worked a few things out..

Supercharged...

Sh|tter m8,but i am sort of glad that someone else is experiencing a similar problem :!:

There's a chappy on the dubforce forum having a similar issue too!

It actually made me ill at one point...id be sat on the pc with eyes half shut looking through wiring diagrams etc,then id spot sommet and shoot off upto the unit other end of town.

This was at 2-3am half the time :shock: I can't believe how long its been going on for :?

Propper p|ssed off with it now,just tired of thinking about it,so i might just sell it as it is :?

Have you had a look at the crank pulley to see if the keyway on the crank is ok? Pulley might be moving around.

Riki

Aye,its mint m8. :(

im no expert , but if youve swapped all the parts mentioned and the crank is 100% etc surely it must be a dodgy wire thats touching somewhere it shouldnt randomly?