Sign in to follow this  
davebirl

Door Hinge Pins

Has anyone ever removed a door hinge pin? I have excessive play in my top hinge and am wondering do they come out by hitting down or up?

The problem is access to them whilst the door is still on the car. It's a long process to get the door off regarding cables etc.

I did have chance to look at an easy solution to this and came up with shimming the top hinge. I experimented with a thin piece of steel and it lifted the door enough to stop it catching on the door pin when closing so I'm gonna make a custom shim at work.

I have gently tapped at the drivers side hinge downwards but it doesn't budge. Driving me mental........he he he

I have gently tapped at the drivers side hinge downwards but it doesn't budge. Driving me mental........he he he

I'll send you a shim if it works out. You will still have play in the door but it will close properly, it's a short term fix but there's no reason why it can't be left in for good.

Fitted the shim to the top hinge today, works a treat and easy to fit too. Just loosen the top bolt, take the weight off the hinge and slip the shim in, tighten the bolt - jobs a good'en.

The shim is about 0.5mm thick which is right for drop on my door but it may need to be thinner or thicker depending on how much play is in the door. Photo attached of the shim.

Let me know if anyone wants to try it.

Dave

Thats exactly what i did about 2 years ago and its still going fine. As mentioned above there's no reason why it shouldnt be left in for good.

Same here, you should look into selling these.

I was straining my back yesterday trying to tighten the door as high as I could but to no result.

I forgot to post back after installing these. Top notch idea! With these shims and new door lock pins, the door closes like a new car.

Thanks a lot Dave!! Now for that window rattle :?