Sign in to follow this  
Active Spoiler

2.0 16V Corrado

I love my Corrado and even more so since I actually purchased it with cash my Mum left to me when she died. I was 28 at the time and had always wanted a Corrado since I had first seen one. I made do with Golf GTis for a while but as a legacy to Mum felt that owning a Corrado was great way to remeber her, especially as she was well into motors too.

Why the story, well I am loathed to get rid of my car but sadly we seem to be running out of options other than possibly storing it and saving for a new engine ... I will explain!

The car always ran fine, I spent loads keeping it well serviced etc. It had always been a bit fluffy on idle but I knew this was common with Corrados so did not worry. 3 years of very happy motoring went by and then things went pear shaped. The fluffiness got worse, it started overheating. A whole score of things....

So far I have had the rotor arm, dis cap and HT leads replaced. Idle air control valve, fan switch and fuel pressure regulator. It has stopped overheating and will idle, although still very fluffy. Drive it at lowish revs and O.K. but hit 5000 and it will kangaroo and lurch to a halt. The mechanics also reliably inform me that the CO 2 emmisions are all over the place. I guess it all points to electrical / fuel? The mechanics also inform the engine is fine, firing on all cylinders etc.

The metering head has been mentioned and the ECU but I am starting to payout for parts that are really mking no difference. I really want to put this car back on the road and don't mind paying, so long as I can once again enjoy the thrills these awesome cars have to offer.

Hope someone can help! Cheers, Nick.

Hi mate, welcome to the forum

Did your mechanic test the lambda sensor??

Whereabouts are you located? maybe if someone on here is close enough to you you could try swapping the ECU to rule that out?

I'm no mechanical expert, but there's enough on here to hopefully help get to the bottom of the problem and get your rado running properly again.

Cheers, I only just found the forum and cannot believe how many Corrado enthusiasts are out there. Awesome!

I will check into this sensor, what does it do?

I am afraid I am in the sticks, about 25 minutes off J27 of the M5, Somerset!

Anyone willing to try their ECU in my car, very willing to buy a slap meal with a few beers!

I have been looking into ways of getting the 9A Engine this car requires. I believe a Passat or Jetta 2.0L, 16v will do it, but so far no luck finding one as a donor. We guessed that then we could swap and change parts and hopefully cure the problem.

Anyone else have any other ideas, experienced this sort of thing before etc.

Dont get rid of the car it holds too much sentimental value to you

you will find a way

Mine is not workin either but will sought out soon i hope 92 raddo 2.0 16v

good luck dude 8)

Yeah.. stick at it mate. There are only so many things that can go wrong on the old valver engines as they aren't mega mega complex compared to whats out there these days.

Have you changed the fuel filter since you've owned the car? Its never done as a service item but really should be.. a common cause of problems at higher revs is a blocked and gunged up old fuel filter simply because the engine is demanding more fuel and the blocked filter can't get it through fast enough..

If its of any use, they never produced a Haynes manual for the Corrado - however, fortunately for us 9A owners, THIS Haynes manual covers our engine as it was used in the Passat of that era.... might be of some use with your fault finding of your problem? :)

Get it on the VW diagnostics machine (VAGCOM) the 9a isn't particularly well managed but it should tell you the rough area...

I will check into this sensor, what does it do?

It detects the oxygen/co2 levens in the exhaust and adjusts accordingly......you remember a short while ago when people were having problems with dodgy fuel from tescos?? The lambda sensor was the thing that packed up on most because of it......

Cheers guys, this is really good of you.

Anymore ideas are greatfully received but for now I will ensure that my mechanic checks these out a lambda sensor is on order!

We will also have a look at the manual, thanks jim and don't worry bosshog, I have spent 1000s on this car and don't intend to give up easily!!!

Soon be tearing up the M5 again! Can't wait. A new set of F1s and some alloys and we will be good to go! 8)