Sign in to follow this  
swginn

16v Dipstick Length?

Unusual request I know, but can anybody tell me the length of the dipstick for a 2.0 9A 16v. Think mine might be the wrong one.... might be a bit short.

Part no. on it is: 051 115 611A

think it should be 051 115 611B

Cheers!

Had an old wrinkly round at the parts dept asking for a new one as it wasnt reaching the oil,she also asked what the lio top was for at the top of the engine.

Why would someone be so bad and change a dipstick on you

It's probably the right one... its just that the buzzer came on with the light during some hard cornering so i figured my oil was low. Topped it up a good bit and if I take the dipstick out after the engine has been running there's oil on it. But if I wipe it and dip it again there's no oil, so I figured its too short.

That and ETOS says the part no. should end with a B, whereas mine ends in an A. If I could just get the length of the metal bit of the dipstick it'd put my mind at rest.

I'll try and remember to check my dipstick later for a part number mate to confirm if you have the right one or not!

I suspect the A to B thing is simply a slight design change in the handle or other such miscellaneous bit.

The numbers look good, an ATP search of ETKA does not show the A suffix part as available or listed so I suspect the factory original 9A came with the A suffix one. It is safe to say it is not a 1.8l one as they have a different first 3 number group.

The other thing to consider with the lack of oil post driving is that the oil level needs to be checked when the engine is cold. I would try and leave it overnight before checking the level, top up, drive and then leave overnight again before worrying too much.

As for the buzzer that's just enthusiastic driving!!

The KR one is red and the 9A one is grey, it is longer due to the spacer fitted in the 9A sump.

spacer??

I've got my old KR dipstick in my 6A block, is that bad? - think the dipstick tube was off the old kr block.

The 9A dipstick is 051 115 611 B as swiginn says but how you use it on a 6A depends on the sump gasket you have used. The 9A has a very thick gasket and the dipstick takes this into account.

OK, I have a KR dipstick and tube but a windage plate incorporating the sump pan seal.

The sump is the one off my old KR 2L conversion from TSR, which I assumed was the same part as a KR one, when I compared the KR block to the new 6A one the dipstick tube insert point in the block looked the same even though the bubble block is obviously a different casting.

I wonder how far off my oil level reading is?

Anybody? Checked the oil this morning in the cold and still getting nothing on the dipstick.... Serviced recently and I topped it up with about 600ml.... I don't want to fill it any more because I think it's overfilled as it is.

If anybody could get me a measurement it would be brilliant... cheers

I suppose the thing to do is to drain the sump and filter, measure and put back the exact amount specified in the handbook and compare the level achieved with the mark on the dipstick. At least then you will know if you are under or over- filled.

best wishes

RB

I suppose the thing to do is to drain the sump and filter, measure and put back the exact amount specified in the handbook and compare the level achieved with the mark on the dipstick. At least then you will know if you are under or over- filled.

best wishes

RB

Humn that job is no fun, make sure you take the end cover plate off the gearbox to engine block housing or you will not be able to get the sump off; new bolts might well be in order too.

Looks like I'll have to do that I suppose... think I might pop into the dealer and see if he has the: 051 115 611B dipstick first to compare.

@Yanyards: Why would I have to take off the sump?

Looks like I'll have to do that I suppose... think I might pop into the dealer and see if he has the: 051 115 611B dipstick first to compare.

Not likely a dealer will have the dipstick on the shelf, they don't even carry 16v spark plugs!

You can never remove all of the oil from the car without taking the sump off, there is usually a good amount still sat in it even after draining, there will be also oil sat in the cylinder head and some other spots too. You want to get as much out as you can as the figure in the manual is for a new unfilled engine.

You can try one of the dipstick oil pump jobbies instead, they are supposed to be better at getting the last few dregs of oil out.

oil pump?