Sign in to follow this  
emirc

VR6 cooling system. What a joke!

OK right now im so Pi$$$ed off so please understand my writing wont be as good as usual :mad:

I replaced my original main water pump and aux. water pump at exactly 202.000 KM, with brand new one from Graf with metal impeller (main) and original Bosch (aux)

5.500 KM later, my car suddenly stops in the middle of the road. Took it to my car mechanic and yesterday we found out :( ... I got some pics:

WHAT THE HELL!?! How could this possibly happen? It broke three METAL paddles and in the coolant i found only two. The aux pump impeller lost all four paddles, and i coudnt find them anywhere in the flushed coolant either... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Now i got only one thing to do. What's the proper way and best solution to completely flush and drain and clean VR6 cooling system, throughly and utterly ? :?: How can i be sure that there are no tiny metal and plastic parts, say in heater core or radiator, that are just waiting to kill my pumps again?

Thanks

Sounds to me like you want to be pressing a warranty claim against the manufacturer for those parts and the work required to fix the car including a new rad..

The pics look like the Graf pump failed first, the bosch aux pump seems to have suffered from erosion due to being battered by the missing 3rd impellor.

As for draining and flushing I am guessing there are lots of little bits of metal in the cooling system including in the water jackets etc, only way to do it would be pressure flush the whole block but even that may not guarentee you get it all out.

What was the state of the coolant that came out?

Sounds to me like you want to be pressing a warranty claim against the manufacturer for those parts and the work required to fix the car including a new rad..

It wont be possible since i bought parts from third-party suppliers due to high cost at stealers. I also changed everything together with my friend who is also car mechanic.

Coolant was dark pink in colou, it was mixture G12+ of course, but i found also it was a bit dirty too, looked like brown deposits in there...

It wont be possible since i bought parts from third-party suppliers due to high cost at stealers. I also changed everything together with my friend who is also car mechanic.

Coolant was dark pink in colou, it was mixture G12+ of course, but i found also it was a bit dirty too, looked like brown deposits in there...

Should still be a warranty on the parts though.

High cost at dealers??

The main VR water pump is £19 exchange!

Dealership didn't have the version with metal impeller. They wanted to charge me with 60 euros with old one returning. I found Graf for 30 euros.

Aux pump is different story. 115 euros at dealership. Found it for 76 euros from one of Bosch suppliers.

2 pumps down is seriously bad luck :-(

The first one obviously grenaded itself, poor materials or running off centre the likely causes. The missing chunk will either be at the bottom of the front block gallery, in the 'crack pipe' or the thermostat housing.

If you have a thermostat in the thermostat housing, it's unlikely the broken chunk got through it (tiny gap when open) to damage the aux pump.

That is really rotten luck, you've been stitched up with some schitt parts there.

Well it's really going down everything that possibly can these past few days... Someone put a spell on me :twisted:

Where should i look for missing parts from aux pump? Heater core? Engine head..?

Yep, the Aux pump is up stream of the heater matrix, so that's the first place to look, although if you're lucky, the plastic bits won't have travelled up the steep bit of pipe and will be sitting at the bottom. They will be too large to pass through the matrix, so you shouldn't need to remove it from the car (horrid job).

Situation updated!

I found third metal impeller from main water pump. It took a good flush of water through crack pipe to let it out. I also found two missing parts from aux. pump, one in crack pipe in the oil cooler nipple, the other was in radiator.

Problems! I broke my crack pipe (it was already out with the rotted o-rings though). Hopefully im buying new one from gruvenparts.com . I got a small leak from radiator too :( i don't want to even think about it...

Info needed! Still havent found other bits from aux. pump. Before i completely take the motor and heater core out, i got an idea, but first could someone please explain me in what direction does the cooling system ciculate? Maybe some drawings are out there? I have bentley and it doesnt show direction of coolant flow...

Preferably i would need separated flow schemes of main pump/aux pump/oil cooler.

Thanks folks!