Sign in to follow this  
herisites

Am i stupid considering this?

If you want a daily cheap hack, a MK2 Golf would be much better.

I've owned 2 MK1s (a 1500 carb and a GTI) and there's no way I would ever own one again. MK2s are soooooo much better.

Why not consider a Pug 205 GTI 1.6? If it has to be a daily hack, why not have some fun in the process? Standard ones are reliable, cheap, torquey motor low down and they handle. And before people start with the French tinny cr@p comments, the MK1 is certainly no chunk of granite either ;-)

Yeah i see what you are saying kev, if i was just after a cheap car i would have no end of choice, but i love the little mk1's and so wanted to get one to use as a daily but mainly as a restore project for the future.

MK2s are soooooo much better.

I'd have to agree the mk2 is a superior car in almost every way, but the mk1 still holds alot of appeal for me purely for the retro looks, horses for courses I suppose!

MK2s are soooooo much better.

I'd have to agree the mk2 is a superior car in almost every way, but the mk1 still holds alot of appeal for me purely for the retro looks, horses for courses I suppose!

Yeah same here, no doubt i could easily walk down the road and find a cheap reliable mk2 infact my sister is selling a very good condition mk2 which she said i could have for a lot less than she's asking. BUT i want a mk1 as a restore project in the future and for the pure retroness (if there's such a word :lol:)

Rob, any joy with the "Copper-pipe" one from St.Albans on the Mk1 forum?

No reply yet mate, i PM'd him asking him to email you but no joy.

Ahhhh, my bad, I didn't read the thread fully..... you want something as a hack AND to restore gradually.....

In that case then, yeah, a MK1 will certainly keep you busy :lol:

I used to have a Mars Bar Red GTI which I later converted to 16V. I was constantly fending off tin worm. I didn't have the money for a full bare metal rebuild and respray, which is what you'll need to keep these cars from rotting every winter. I had the front and rear panels replaced and painted, but they bubbled up a year later...... so I moved onto MK2s.

I would have loved to replicate Simon Faiers Candy Apple blue MK1 16V from 1993, but just couldn't afford the time or money! That's as good as MK1s get imo...... Clipper body kit, plain 5 spokes (stil autos or Azev As) and nice paint.

See if you can find a Lhasa green 83 GTI as they don't seem to rust as much as the other colours for some bizarre reason!!

No worries kev. Yeah want a project car, use it as a rat car for uni then when finished uni bring the C back out as my daily and startt restoring the mk1 is the plan!

Again as said before, i would love a GTI but would mean more insurance being quite young and more money altogether for the car which isnt what i after, i just want a cheap little engined shed of a mk1 that doesnt look too good body wise but has had some spent on it to keep running fairly reliable etc.

You're right, there are thousands of reasonable cheap cars that will run well, be it Ibiza's, or Fiesta's - reliable and easy to fix, Golfs will be a known entity to you, Mk3 for 75 quid on autotrader, but a more pokey Diesel for 250.

The problem is that you're after the Mk1 (presume GTi), which I tihnk is a great little car, but is now so old you could be buying a bag of rust. Wont find any on autotrader etc as they've either been written off or scrapped by average joe; so that only leaves the enthusiasts. A mint one will cost a fair bit as you know. Finding one that needs soem TLC is bound to be a risk - have you got the money?

Found this example Mk1 Gti but its been shunted and has a horrid leak problem - which IMO are a nightmare to fix unless done properly. Another dog. Much better looking IMO.

There are loads of Mk2 Gti's about. I had one and barely spent a penny on it. How about a low miler 16v 1994 Corrado? Or has the retro Mk1 bitten you?

Yep im afraid i have the retro mk1 bug, just want a little mk1 rat slammed on its arse with some scabby wide wheels for uni and then when finished uni and back earning start restoring it as a show car over time!

Not really after a GTI as stated, i will be looking at paying a lot more for the car alone and any cheap ones are going to be pretty cack tbh, plus insurance etc will be more. I dont care what engine it is as its just to get me about, the smaller more fuel efficient the better really! I will eventually drop the vr lump in it anyway :wink: :lol:

How much do you think i could offer for the black one if i just took it as it is without all the spares as im not really bothered about dented panels etc i just want a runner??

Also on ED38

My brother went through a Mk1 phase before having a few other VW's.

His was a mint condition Mk1 Driver in Apline white. It was 1.3, went ok, handled amazing and as far as i can remember had all the GTi trim on it anyway. Prob be very hard to find an ok one now, but would be cheaper insurance than GTi and have the looks. Plus if you restored it to std it would be worth quite a bit i wud imagine.

I always keep an eye out for one and if one came along i think that would a great proj car to have IMO

this is quite a nice one, dont know if its still up for sale tho

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=137164

Rob, I'd just o in and bag the lot... if you don't want the panels stick them on MK1 forum and you'll probably make most of the money back.

I mean 2doors and a wing in Lhasa must be worth what £200?

Or stick them in the lock up until you come to do the resto and hey you have 1/2 the panels already sorted...

This is the issue with having multiple projects... which do you spend on? I should know now running a Rado AND a Cabby! :lol:

Ah OK, no GTI for you then sir.....

Well, in that case I recommend the MK1 Golf GX if you can find one. They're quite rare in 3 door though, but of all the non GTI MK1s, it has the best engine. It got the high compression (for 1980s) 1588cc carb engine, good for 100hp. Head work, mild cam and exhaust can get it to 115hp.

The one to avoid is the CL 1500cc as it's the gutless low comp engine, only 70hp. Not much you can do with that lump.

I think the GL got a low comp 1588cc IIRC, about 85-90hp.

The Driver fot a 1300 and the C got either 1.0 or 1.1.

I *think* there was also a carbed 1800 version in low comp, I can't remember, but it was only 90hp, so best stick with GX if you can track one down :-)

Cheers for that info kev, im sure it will come in handy. Not really fussed about tuning capabilites though, just want it to go for now. When i do eventually start to restore it i plan (note the word 'plan' lol) to drop my vr lump in it :shock: and go 24v in mine for reliability. Or if not the vr lump then atleast GTI engine or something with a bit of poke.

I dunno what i wanna do now though, as i said i wasnt really looking to buy one yet, was going to wait right up until i start uni before getting one but this cheapy shed came up so though for £150 just get it now and tinker with it over the summer, but now im thinking i might as well spend more and get a better one! But then that will put the supercharger on hold even longer plus i gotta save up to pay off my insurance in August!! Aaaargh :lol:

Not really fussed about tuning capabilites though,

Well, in that case I recommend the MK1 Golf GX ... It got the high compression (for 1980s) 1588cc carb engine, good for 100hp. Head work, mild cam and exhaust can get it to 115hp.

More POWER , arf arf arf

250px-Homeimprovementep2.jpg

:lol: