Sign in to follow this  
Gunswick

Hello, new to Corrados! Need some Advice

Hi all,

This is my first post, so hello! 8)

Im trying to find out everything I can about Corrados as Im very interested in getting one.

Im going to look at one for sale in Edinburgh tonight (thats where im based).

So im after the main quirks, common faults, things to look for / avoid, that kinda thing.

Then how expensive are they to run? its the VR6, 2.9 version im looking at so some ideas of prices / parts, how do you go about valuating one?

and any general info would be great!

oh and do any of them have aircon?

and whats the difference between a VR6 and a STORM VR6? Parkers wasnt much use!

thanks a lot, looks like a great webiste here! :D

Chris / Gunswick

Welcome aboard

I'd recommend you click on the Knowledge Base on the Home page - all the answers to your queries will be there for you

Thanks for the quick replies, must be right about the forum!

Il take a look in the knowledge base, cheers.

wow crikey, lots of info on that wiki page - il arrive with a book to greet the seller :D

il post the ad of the car, perhaps you can give some advice, or you may well know the seller. its on at £5k which sounds rather high??

Link sortened - Andi

Hello and welcome!!

5k seems a bit pricey, late VR's have been fetching 3.5-4k lately, it would have to be a very nice example, with leather and all the options to be worth 5k IMHO.

Does look a tidy example though. Love the red VR's (slightly biased though obviously!!) :D

hello and welcome to the forum. good luck with viewing that corrado. :)

5k does seem a bit steep to be honest. I would have said maybe 3.5k - 4k providing it has no problems

oof, thank god!

otherwise i was considering not getting one - bit heat senstive lol

so its not common but is out there, ok cool. thanks :)

Well i went to see it, and drove it a bit, on the motorway a wee bit too.

very nice condition overall, checked what i could remember from the checklist, and on the drive everything seemed ok.

the interior is decent, though the gear stick felt loose? or perhaps its just a very smooth gear linkage (compared to my current 306 anyway)

the fan dial just span round not connected, but air did blow out and the temperature worked, so probably an easy fix.

no air con, which was a shame.

no leather interior, black cloth with little red? specs here n there, but nice condition.

had 10 previous owners, and been with the current owners for 7 years.

timing chain has never been changed (1995 reg, 127 000 miles), so i think thats not too good! but the guy seemed ok.

car had quite a rough idle, but not erratic.

quite long brake pedal travel? dunno if its normal, but stopped well enough! with no judders etc

clutch replaced recently and new tyres.

so is it over priced from that? £5k sounds too high to me, they would accept 4500, but its only been on sale 4 days, and i was the 3rd person to look and make a lower offer (the others were also about £4k)

the red was stunning, very very good. similar to lancia integrale red if you've seen it in the flesh :)

still dont know if i want one. at low speeds the engine felt a little uncomfortable and not that quick. it was at higher speeds / revs that it got more fun.

think i would need to drive another, or perhaps a G60 which supposedly has its power down low.

its tricky as my current car is a 306 HDi, which is clearly very different to the VR6

think im more confused over what to do now, that i was before seeing it!

any thoughts? :)

welcome mate!

avoid that particular one.

for 5k you want a minter, and hopefully leather. not a bad running cloth interior which requires the chains being done.

Keep looking, especially on here, and you'll definately find what you are after, just have patience :)

see if foggy's is still for sale?

good luck!

thank you, just what i wanted to hear :)

how much are the chains and work thats normally carried out with it? e.g. waterpumps, clutches, aux/fan belts etc? just so i know what to bargain with!

anyone know of a leather, air con VR6 for sale? (preferably in the northern half of the country lol)

still cant decide if the engine was for me though, as i live in edinburgh, getting the revs up high isnt easy! are the VR6s ok in traffic / around town?

edit: have you got a link to foggys one? or is it in the for sale section

VW will charge you 3+k, Stealth will charge under 2k I think (last time I rang). If you get the parts then I have heard of people claiming as little as £250, but I haven't had a quote near that.

so oviously you would want that done, and not have to fork out after buying the car.

have a mooch around the sale section, I haven't heard that he sold it though

christ that nuts :lol:

well i though on the checklist it said parts are circa £200??

so labour cant be that much can it? what 5 hours tops?

i looked in the for sale section and couldnt see any threads by foggy?

EDIT:

ok cool thanks

Parts are £250 absolute minimum - by the time you've added a few bits you may also want to change you'll hit £500

Labour is 10 hours (again minimum) and Stealth do the chains and clutch for £650 + vat IIRC

yeah, 10 hour job!

and obviously once your in there you wanna do the clutch and Head Gasket etc to save going in again

Vince quoted me a lot more than that a couple of years ago though

There a 1.8T converted one for sale at the mo under 5K!

Bloody good conversion, suits the car well! I am biased though :)