Sign in to follow this  
dr_mat

Steering rack Gaitors

Big job to replace? It seems pretty straightforward to me, but there's usually something I have missed when it seems straightforward to me! Anyone done it?

Should I get VW ones or GSF ones or GPC ones or ... ? Any ideas on prices?

Can you guess? Yes, the beast failed it's MOT for the first time since I owned it... :(

Big job to replace? It seems pretty straightforward to me, but there's usually something I have missed when it seems straightforward to me! Anyone done it?

Should I get VW ones or GSF ones or GPC ones or ... ? Any ideas on prices?

Can you guess? Yes, the beast failed it's MOT for the first time since I owned it... :(

did mine when I replaced the track rods the other week,

bought FEBI ones from AVS

they were geat quality, cheap (big order so I paid no delivery charge) and fitted fine.

Depends how siezed your track rod ends are, if they'll come off OK then sliding the boot over is easy.

Will need alignment check after though.

Track rod ends should be fine, they were new less than 2 years ago. How do the Febi ones compare with the OE? Just don't want them splitting again in another two years (bag of crap, honestly).

Track rod ends should be fine, they were new less than 2 years ago. How do the Febi ones compare with the OE? Just don't want them splitting again in another two years (bag of crap, honestly).

Can't fault the VW ones, they've lasted 17 years and were still servicable, just thought I'd change them anyway as I was in there.

The FEBI ones looked really good, made out of a plastic rather than rubber, felt really thick and strong, perfectly made too.

The Febi ones look the same tbh (but most stuff does) but I would order genuine for the sake of a few pence more...

They usually fail after being twisted when the clip moves round...

Matt - the only git is I don't think they fit over the end so you need to undo the end from the rod, you can mark the nut or count threads to keep the tracking in check but then of course the other problem is you split the boot on the TRE with the ball joint splitter when taking it off... arse!

Ah, that's true. Got to get the tracking re-done then. Well that's no biggie.

Mine are split on top towards the end, and they look like they're quite plasticy rather than rubber. They really don't look two years old, tbh, (they look MUCH older) and I have a feeling they're of unknown provenance, rather than being new when the rack was fitted.. (A succession of disasters with this steering rack.)

Ok, ordered VW parts, £14 each (about 3 times the price of GSF, but hey). A local place will fit 'em on thursday, then I'll get the short retest done and we'll be sorted for another 12 months. That's the plan, at least .... :)

You don't need to redo the tracking since the outer tie rod can only go back the way it came off, all you do is mark with tippex or count the threads as Steve said.

One thing to watch when doing gaitors is the rack vent tubes. They slide into the gaitors and keep them free of vacuum to stop them crimping up and deforming in use. Make sure the garage fit them properly ;-)

One thing to watch when doing gaitors is the rack vent tubes. They slide into the gaitors and keep them free of vacuum to stop them crimping up and deforming in use. Make sure the garage fit them properly ;-)

yeah, if the gaitor isn't on quite straight on one or both sides the tube will rub against part of the rack or mountings for the rack.

Local blokey is pretty good (for a pug mechanic.. ;) ), but I'll mention these things to him .. :)

Cheers.

Well, all sorted. VW took their usual three days and two trips to the place to actually get the parts in, but they looked like nice quality rubber - quite heavy and very flexible. They were a git to fit apparently (the breather pipes on my rack are *slightly larger* than the holes in the new gaiters..), plus one of the track rod ends had a seized pinch bolt.

Went back to the test centre afterwards, and they couldn't be bothered to charge a re-test for for "looking under the car" .. So I got the big green form for free..! :)

Sorted.

Went back to the test centre afterwards, and they couldn't be bothered to charge a re-test for for "looking under the car" .. So I got the big green form for free..! :)

Sorted.

don't even need the form now as it's all computerised, I wonder if plod ever makes you do 'a producer' these days as they can check everything electronically, even the tax disk has a bar code. mine went through no probs yesterday :D