Sign in to follow this  
KADVR6

removing waxoyl

anyone got any ideas how to get this stuff off??? asking as my grandad found out i was looking to buy a camper van, and he has given me he's 1968 beetle so the missus can get the feel for driving an old vw. the thing is that when he bought it, he was in the royal engineers, and for the first 5 years he owned it, the car was stuck in he's garage, so he waxoyled everything, and i mean everything bar the glass. he also kept on doing this every year :roll: it took me nearly 2 hours yesterday with boiling hot water/washing up liquid to clean a patch about 4" by 8", but the paintwork underneath was immaculate. it should be i guess.

he has also told me i can keep the car, as he cant really drive anymore, gotta be worth something being a one owner car, with only 28k from new. :shock:

and its bright orange, so you guys will see me coming from miles away :lol:

karl

Karl, waxoyl contains white spirit which acts as the 'carrier', it evaporates leaving the wax behind to bond to the metal so using white spirit will soften it up again and should then just wipe/wash away. Although not sure what its like on paint! If you have access to a steam cleaner and some strong TFR then that might do the trick!

In my experience, white spirit is not the most agressive of solvents - one's paintwork would have to be of very poor quality for a quick wipe with it to do damage. As earlier poster says, white spirit is solvent carrying the waxoyl, anyway.

Now, thinners - that would be a different kettle of fish.

thanks for the advice guys, will get loads of white spirit tomorrow, i will take some before/during/after shots.

karl

warm white spirit will take it off really easily, dont use washing up liguid though its full of salt and any residue in the panel seams will rot away at the metal, if you need to get rid of any residue get a good tfr.

warm white spirit will take it off really easily, dont use washing up liguid though its full of salt and any residue in the panel seams will rot away at the metal, if you need to get rid of any residue get a good tfr.

Yep NEVER use fairy liquid on your cars paint, it sucks all the oils out of the paint making it fade like hell!! TFR or a strong mix of APC to remove any stubborn residue.

I'm guessing you didn't take any pics Karl?

this would have helped me loads, if you've got some you can upload.

Cheers!

I have been told that Duckoil removes waxoyl really well, use it with a steam cleaner and you should have no troubles.

Its great for under the engine bay as its still oil based and will continue to protect the paint.