Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

ABS is completely dead and need MOT - FIXED?

i do also have the mech as well, the only problem with it is the bits at either end where the supports for the spoiler poke through are cracked where someone has over tightened them, the middle section with the motor on and tubes and cables are fine though, so all you would need to do is swap the ends over.

Ooh that could do the trick! - are you going to Stonor Park next weekend?

Good skills Dom ;-)

Yes I have the 2+2 and Vag-com stuff still for future ref!

Did you completely strip down the spoiler mech?

You need to take it right down mate, get the 2 cables out, de crud and de rust them, clean the metal guide tubes out, regrease it all and so on. You also need to strip the motor. Bend the locking tabs outward and the commutator and brush assembly will lift out and I will put a tenner on the motor being totally crusted up. You just need to clean it up and reassemble. The brushes are good for at least 25 years, so pop em back in.

If you can smell burning when it's trying to work, that's your prob.

Also make sure the manual crank handle is catching on anything and ensure it's fully pushed in.

Worthy of note is my spoiler has not been used for a couple of months and it has made absolutely feck all difference to A) high speed stability, and B) high speed cornering stability....so I've left it down permanently now.

Worthy of note is my spoiler has not been used for a couple of months and it has made absolutely feck all difference to A) high speed stability, and B) high speed cornering stability....so I've left it down permanently now.

Easy to disconnect?

I think the car looks smarter with it down; just still love to see it pop up though - such a cool gimmick !

see the new TT has a similar idea. Apparantly that huge one on the 911 does make a difference though; sure is big enough; didn't they also say that the small fin on the rear of the Mk1 TT made a difference too.

Yes matey, all you do is pull off the white connector in the tailgate and Bobby Ewing is your uncle.

Don't be tempted to pull off the red or black wire from the motor itself as it will still move in one direction! I made that mistake when I had a bike rack on.....the spoiler rose and dug into my nice bear trap MTB pedals at 60mph....lovely!

Yeah that's the thing, the 911 spoiler is not only bigger, it also lifts into the air stream more and at a steeper angle, so generates considerably more drag than the Corrado and TT ones do. The TT one was a marketing necessity following the controversy of the "clip on" strip from the MK1 TT......must have been embarrassing for Audi - the premium arm of the VW group - to know that the lesser VW made an automatic spoiler some 20 years ago :lol:

The Merc SLR's spoiler is so effective, it can be used as an Air brake, but that lifts almost above the roofline!

The Rado's and TT's spoilers are 80% gimmick, 20% useful. It provides just about enough drag to make high speed corners slightly more controlled, but it's more a failsafe for idiotic drivers than a pure necessity.

Audi can just say, well we addressed the criticsms and you still stacked it, hard luck!

Yup, I did everything apart from the motor itelf, so that could well be the bit that's jamming. It still doesn't feel particularly smooth when moving it with the handle though, so I'm not sure.

Manual crank handle is pushed in and doesn't catch on anything.

coolrado - thanks for the offer - I shall see if I can sort the motor out this weekend, if not I might be getting back in touch :)

Well I whipped the motor apart and cleared the ton of crud out of it on Sat. It now works, but is rather noisy (grinding noise rather than electrical straining tho).

Your welcome to take my spare boot lid. No body else seems to want it. Think all the internals are there. give it a go.

Oooh, now that could be very useful! I couldn't get rid of the boot lid from my old one either, but you should be able to shift the spoiler mech. Heh, thinking about it - I might even still have the mech in my garage... won't be going over to them parts of the country for another few weeks yet tho.

If I could alleviate you of the spoiler mech that'd be superb - I don't have anywhere to put the boot lid, but I'm happy to pop around and remove the mech if thats ok?

Hmmm. My ABS does nothing either, but the spoiler works. Did the fuses all turn out to be in the fusebox?

I've not checked the two on top of it, or any of the relays yet. Still ABS can wait. Got to find a aux water pump, and fit the new radiator yet, but it'd be nice to have a few more pointers for reference..