Sign in to follow this  
drewiee99

which cam for the g60?

hi folks this might of been brought up before but tried the search and couldnt find anything.Im really confused on a cam choice for the g60,mods so far are a decat pipe and superspint exhaust,4 branch manifold a 70mm pulley (just need a chip) and i want to get the head done.i know im not going to get loads of hp i just want a litle more than standard without putting to much stress on the motor.Ive looked at a number of cams ive narrowed it down to

piper 260-260- 2000-6000-rpm

kent 266- 1500-6000-rpm

neman 264-278- 2500-7000-rpm

any advise or shall i keep the standard one on?

throw this one into your choices Schrick 268-276* best cam for the g60 in my opinion.

throw this one into your choices Schrick 268-276* best cam for the g60 in my opinion.

I will second that! i have had these cams in 2 cars now..by far the best cam in terms of quality.. and does the job very well too!

Is it worth the cost fittin a cam to a G60???

I fitted a kent GS2H (i think) to my old mk2 8v GTI and then had it set up on a RR and I wasnt that impressed with it, I honestly couldnt really tell that much difference and couldnt really justify the outlet

i had the piper 270h in mine for years. factory idle. and good midrange. lots of low down torque. and maxes out at 6500. just where the g60 run out as well.

i think i've got a newman in at the mo at the idle is a bit lumpy.

Ive seen those newman cams advertised in Practical Performance Car and seen them cheapish on ebay. They any better or worse than any of the others??

the piper cam sound good where could i get one of those from had a look on the web site but cant find that part no?

What about the BBM split profile cam?

Hydraulic 8V Cam 260°/256°, .419"/.416" lift, Good Idle and torque. Recommended camshaft for G-60 engines, Low Boost Turbos and all other hydraulic enigines.

@ $120 --£60 + shipping is it worth a go???

Anyone tried this?

im using piper 285, rough idle and flat till about 3k.

id buy a shrick if the oppurtunity came up

Does seriously idle rough on yours cos i have the same one as well and it idle's pretty much factory to be honest and i dont have a ISV anymore.

For my application i cant fault the Piper 285 but not sure what difference it will make to more standard engines.

i dont have an isv either. i suppose i should take it back, it runs rough when cold which may not be the cam after all but flys at 3k

I'd second that. Don't bother with a piper 285, awesome top end but tick over is a bit unbearable to be honest. I've just swapped mine out for a newman which idles perfectly and hasn't lost any punch.

I will second that! i have had these cams in 2 cars now..by far the best cam in terms of quality.. and does the job very well too!

I'll third it!!! :lol:

I have this Cam in my G60! Doesn't idle lumpy, cracking choice for the G60

Got a custom Newman cam in my G60 which I got from G-Werks... excellent quality camshaft... not much use to most people though as it was spec'd for my CNC head... :lol:

The Profile you have Henny took a little 'trial and error'.. I found the grinds that 'did'nt work' earlier on a shelf of the store room.

The Shrick 268'/276' give a good spread of power without robbing too much low down torque and the finish of the cam is OE. The Piper 285's are very strong top end, but a little to much top end and you end up spanking the hell out of the charger to enjoy the benefits of the cam. The Newman milder P1 cam we have had ground to our own spec work well in G60's stock valved 1.8 G60's and P2 for 1.9 G60's.

Avoid Kents, I have not yet a G60 with a Kent cam that has left me questioning if it is any better than stock and if you obtain a Piper ensure it is the G60 version of the 285 and not the 8v 'PB' normaly aspirated version that has far too much overlap for the G60 engine.

if you obtain a Piper ensure it is the G60 version of the 285 and not the 8v 'PB' normaly aspirated version that has far too much overlap for the G60 engine.

how would i know which mine is?

There is usally some identifaction on the end of the cam (rocker cover breather end) it should be engraved on there.

-daz. the cam you suppilied me. on the invoice its a shrick. but it came in a new-man new. it is the p1 or p2. basically. is it the best for the new bottom end. ta.

-daz. the cam you suppilied me. on the invoice its a shrick. but it came in a new-man new. it is the p1 or p2. basically. is it the best for the new bottom end. ta.

You're cam is specific for you're set up Ian.