Dan_Storm

dan_storm's Storm

After about 7 years of wanting a Corrado I've finally got one! And i'm as happy as a pig in sh*t!

I started looking seriously a 3-4 months ago and picked mine up on Saturday.

I've got a classic green Storm with 50,000 miles and air-con (I was particularly looking for air-con - which made the choice v.limited). The C is 100% standard, it even has the original Sony radio. It's in great condition, except for the wheels which are corroded (can anyone recommend a company for refurbishing?)

The Sony CD player/radio sounds really bad! It's very tinny with no bass, can anyone confirm if it is meant to be that bad? I haven't been listening to it though - i've been too busy listening to the engine :D

I am amazed by the performance and handling!! I'm thinking of booking a track day sometime to see what it can really do....

looking good............if you have a look here http://corrado.atx-hosting.co.uk/viewto ... 8536#38536 you'll see how a classic green storm looks like sans 4x4 standard suspension......believe me its probably the best thing you can get done to it......mine has koni coilovers and handles a lot lot better than the standard set-up :wink:

as for the standard sony......its decent enough for the age but there are also different sound settings for it so maybe worth playing about with it......but as you say you'll be listening to the VR6's own soundtrack so who needs tunes

i also had flaky wheels but i had them blasted and powder-coated with a silver-sparkle finish which is very subtle but IMHO looks damn nice 8) especialy when the sun is shining 8) 8) i had mine done by Coatech Coatings in Carnoustie.....which i imagine is a bit out of the way for you????

The Sony CD player/radio sounds really bad! It's very tinny with no bass, can anyone confirm if it is meant to be that bad?

Your problem will be the factory speaker system. VW factory speakers have a very basic/bad sound quality.

BTW - welcome to the forum & Corrado ownership.. 8)

actually. my standard spekers werent that bad. good for stndard. Going by the sony that was in my girl friends polo, best thing you can do is bin it. :roll: its rubbish. buy a decent cd/changer package, components for the fromt and some replacement rears, and then youll be happy. :D Or, mod your airbox and fit a SS exhaust, bin your stereo and agian, enjoy :lol:

Cheers for all the comments.

vr6storm - I like the non-4x4 look :D. Whats the ride like with Koni's? Is it any harsher than standard?

I've had a play with the radio tonight and got it to sound marginally better. I've got a newer Sony head unit/CD changer from my old MK2 Golf (which i'm selling) so i'm going to swap that over next weekend to see how it sounds.

vr6storm - I like the non-4x4 look :D. Whats the ride like with Koni's? Is it any harsher than standard?

its not going to be as refined round town as the standard set-up but its very refined on the open road and twisties

I tried my Newer Sony head unit and the sound quality is much better. Still not great but a vast improvement. Next step will be to replace the speakers.

The tax disk was up there when I bought the car. I think it's technically illegal :? but i haven't got round to moving it yet.

It's a good location though, its behind the rear view mirror so doesn't block the view.

Quick update:

The car has now been chipped by AMD - very impressed. It runs smoother and is more responsive. Just a shame I've got used to the extra grunt..

I've also got Infinity speakers all round (components up front) and a Infinity Basslink in the boot. Its a nice little setup and sounds so much better than the standard system.

Next on the list is to lower it slightly to remove the 4x4 look and to get the paint work touched-up.

very nice. Do you know the actual power output before and after the rechip was done? what was the total cost?

I have the basslink in my boot aswell. makes the stereo sound so much better IMO and it kicks out lots of power for such a compact unit. I have kenwood components in mine so im sure were getting a very similar sound from our stereos.

What paint touch ups are you having done? Im having mine re-quoted this weekend. Some rust on the very front of the passenger wing, some rust on the bottom of the passenger door....general tidy up.

very nice. Do you know the actual power output before and after the rechip was done? what was the total cost?

What paint touch ups are you having done? Im having mine re-quoted this weekend. Some rust on the very front of the passenger wing, some rust on the bottom of the passenger door....general tidy up.

Torque before/after:

183.5 lb/ft @ 4235

203.2 lb/ft @ 4366

BHP before/after:

191.4 bhp @ 5785

206.5 bhp @ 5706

Cost for the ECU remapping was 350+VAT. I also had a service and the top mounts replaced while I was there.

I've got quite a few stone chips on the front of the bonnet/bumper and a couple of small dents/scratches. Nothing serious but just a general tidy-up like your after.

I haven't got any quotes yet. I'd be interested to hear what your quote is like...

wow...thats some impressive gains from just a chip. you feel it has been worth it then?? you can actually feel the difference when driving then aswell?

Is that the only mod that has been done to your car?

My quote was about £300 last time but now i expect it to be about £350 as the rust is slightly worse.....i get it cheap as i know the guy. i can ask if he will do you a similar price although you would have to travel to cambridge

I do think the chip was worth it - not cheap but I intend to keep the car for a long time.....or ever :wink:

About 2 or 3 weeks after the chip I got used to the extra power. It doesn't have the same grin factor as when I first drove it after the remap :( but still worth it in my opinion.

Apart from the chip and ICE the rest of the car is completely standard.

I was tempted to get some 17" rims but I got a couple of good comments and looks at GTI International because its standard looking storm. I'm not sure whether I should keep the Solitude wheels or go for something bigger.

A set of 17" Solitude replicas would be great :D Anyone know of any wheels that look similar?

Thanks for the offer on the paint job. I might have to look into it. I'm going to get a quote from someone I know locally first and go from there.

cool. im thinking about the chip aswell but its on the list after

body work (in process of sorting)

milltek exhaust (deposit sent)

Milltek Sports CAT (still thinking about)

then the Chip (maybe)

I was wondering about bigger alloys aswell. mine isnt an actual storm though so its ok :lol:

why dont you buy the bigger wheels and keep the solitudes as spares and when you sell (if you sell) the buyer can decide which ones he wants

If you could get 16" Solitudes it would look sweet. Bigger but still subtle enough to look standard - and the general concensus seems to be that 16" wheels offer the best compromise of ride/handling/grip.

Spend most of yesterday cleaning and polishing. I used Autoglym Super Resin Polish followed by Extra Gloss Protection.

Here's some more photos:

I thought it was about time I added some more pics. Used some clay bar today which worked a treat.

Since the last set of photos I have lowered the car with Koni's and H&R springs and got a set of refurbed Solitudes from Guy Hartley.

I have been thinking of getting a daily driver for the Winter....

ooo havnt seen this one yet!

Real stunner mate Cool

loving that last pic too

Thanks, luckily the stone chips and dents don't show up in the photos. I must get them sorted.....