Sign in to follow this  
MARK 16V

New to site

Hi all,

Just thought I would say hello to one and all. I live in south Birmingham near Bromsgrove. I had originally a mk2 golf 16v but sold it and bought an aqua blue 1.8 16v rado on a H plate. Absolutely lovin` the car at the moment minus a few problems here and there. Will post some pics up soon of it and maybe some of you can give me some advice here and there as it is absolutely standard at the moment with a leaky foootwell aswell.

Getting married this year so this has kind of put mods on the back burner for now so will have to make do with solving the 'issuses' first.

Welcome fella,

You should find everything you need to know about your c here.

The search is great and if you cant find the answers someone will always know the answer :D

Hi, welcome to the gang matey. Always good to see another valver (especially an early) joining us. Defo use the search, there's been plenty of posting ref water leaks. Lots of causes i'm afraid! But try poking a brake cable or guitar string down the 4 sunroof drains (in the corners) to push out any crud thats preventing water from flowing through. Providing your sunroof slides of course! :)

Thanks for the welcome. All electrics work on it in fact I`m sure the guy I bought it off bought it from someone off here. Reg H422 YNU (I think).

Anyway thanks for the advice on the leak I`ve had to give up on it today as it`s still chucking it down outside. Have searched through older threads and it could possibly be the heater vent thingy so when it dries off alittle I`ll take that apart and put sealant round.

P.s Tim like the cupholders, great mod

Hey buddy, welcome to the forum. One thing you could check are the drain holes that carry the water that runs off the windscreen down into the wheel arches. They're located just under each bonnet hinge. If these are blocked water sometimes gets into the footwell through the heater vents. One thing to try is to pour some water onto the windscreen and watch if it comes pouring out of the arches.

Other than that, get some pictures up mate!

Hello mate. Nice to see another local. The missus lives in Bromsgrove and I teach just up the road into Birmingham, up past Junction 4. Look forward to seeing some pics of the motor!

Well I took the vent under the scuttle apart today when it finally stopped raining and it seems that the gasket was retaining alot of water so sealed it up with sealant. Only time will tell now if that was the problem.

Also managed to bodge/fix my windscreen wipers because every time it rains and I used my wipers the arm linking the motor to the wiper arm would come off while driving so I drilled and tapped a hole through the ball joint and put a bolt through abit dodgy I know but it works. Job done for now (hopefully).

Anyone on here got a spare centre cap for a sebring alloy.

Mr Sands I live just off junc 4 in Rednal. Thers a couple of rado`s about round here, one I see quite often is a green vr6 and a black one aswell (not sure what type though).

Will post pics up as soon as I take some...

I teach not far at all from that. I have seen a green VR near Lydiate Ash in the morning rush hour. So did a Scottish colleague of mine who drives a Mk IV TDI who likes to race/swear at me in the mornings (he also commutes from Worcester). On one occasion he gave the bird to the green VR when it took an unexpected route up. He then arrived at work, walked into the Staff Common Room (where I was already happily coffeed up and marking away) and asked me in flat out astonishment how I'd got there so quickly! :D

When I told him it WASN'T me in that particular green VR, he went an interesting colour. Brilliant. :)

I teach not far at all from that. I have seen a green VR near Lydiate Ash in the morning rush hour. So did a Scottish colleague of mine who drives a Mk IV TDI who likes to race/swear at me in the mornings (he also commutes from Worcester). On one occasion he gave the bird to the green VR when it took an unexpected route up. He then arrived at work, walked into the Staff Common Room (where I was already happily coffeed up and marking away) and asked me in flat out astonishment how I'd got there so quickly! :D

When I told him it WASN'T me in that particular green VR, he went an interesting colour. Brilliant. :)

Lol, Haven`t quite managed giving strangers the bird but always guilty for flashing people I think I know until they pass me with the who the f*ck are you look are their face.

Thanks to the sites top notch search engine I`ve managed to sort the internal leak on my car. It was the heater thing under the scuttle, a good amount of sealant under it and a few more days rain and no leak. Love it...