Sign in to follow this  
g60bv

bigger brake master cylinder

i run the brembo 4 pots and i had put a new 22mm cylinder in when i did the brakes. 3-4 years ago. but i 've always had a spongy brake pedal. is there a bigger master cylinder thay will fit on. say a 23 or 24 mm.

i've heard the auto mk3 golfs have 23mm. and audi 200 have 24mm. is this right or am i barking up he wrong tree.

ps i dont have abs.

well after looking on google. i found that there is an audi 200 master cylinder thats looks like it will fit straight on and is ... 25.4mm bore.

genuine audi ATE part. £139. hope it bloody works.. im fed up with spongy brakes.

25.4! That's a biggy....

In theory you'll have more pedal travel with that, but less effort needed.

Keep us posted!

ok

fitted. now i've got almost no pedal movement. think there is still air in the system. can stamp on them and they dont lock up.. can stop the car. put not in any hurry.. could this be air or the bigger movement in oil movment. how does the servo help in brakes.

i think your right . it is too big.

you know when you pump the brakes with the engine off. the peddal goes rock soild. well its like that when the engines on. theres no feel. and probaby not enough leverage with the pedel along to compress the calipers. dont suppose you have the part number for the 23.81mm one. that way i'll can see if i can swap it. not loose out on 140 smackers

pooh pants :)

also when i jacked the rear up to bleed before. they wouldn't bleed at all.. only when on the ground. so whats up there..

gotcha. i've put the old one back on and bleed it all throu. all's back to as it was. i'll look at for the other one. there is a site which has a picture of every master cylinder. i'll check it out on there. thanks for info.

Does the VR6 MC not fit a G60 as that's 23mm IIRC, perhaps a tad bigger. it's the biggest one of all the corrados anyway.

I've got AP 4 pots at the front and MK4 rears. I think you're right, a bigger MC might get rid of the 1st cm of dead travel / feel, although a lot of that is down to the pedal leverage, which is very poor. The pivot is too far up the pedal, so there's not much leverage on offer.

MK4s and TTs had a 24mm MC I believe, which would make sense as the 312s on those cars feel a lot sharper than they do when retro fitted to older VWs.....but they also have a better pedal arrangement aswell, different ABS, no rear bias valve etc etc....

i use std rear calipers and brembo 4 pot up front. no abs. and the 25.4 is utterly useless.. i had no brake peddal to speak of. almost no peddal movement and due to the peddal pivot had to push uncomfortable hard to come to a stop. and no matter how hard. couldn't lock up. or even come to a stop quickly.

so yes it fits. but DO NOT FIT IT :shock: . it cost 140 from euros. LUCKILY i got a full refund. :lol: .

i may just keep with 22mm. it works.

also how diferent is the vr6 bearing housing from the g60's. and do the calpiers mount in the same place. i'm looking top put the leon 323mm on the g60. as i have a 5 stud hub. but the off set on the disc s is off and you cant pull the calpier forward. only back which is the wrong way. is the leon brembo caliper adapter different to the ibitza - other than the reach. from 305 to 323. :?

I've got a set of leon calipers and carriers if you fancy a straight swap...... i just can't get the 323's inside my wheels so i'm looking to get 305's instead.

I've got AP 4 pots at the front and MK4 rears. I think you're right, a bigger MC might get rid of the 1st cm of dead travel / feel, although a lot of that is down to the pedal leverage, which is very poor. The pivot is too far up the pedal, so there's not much leverage on offer.

MK4s and TTs had a 24mm MC I believe, which would make sense as the 312s on those cars feel a lot sharper than they do when retro fitted to older VWs.....but they also have a better pedal arrangement aswell, different ABS, no rear bias valve etc etc....

Slightly off topic, sorry

When your say the pivot is too far up, are you saying the pedal mount pivot or the MC actuator rod pivot? I detest the the feel of the brakes on my (95) VR in spite of braided hose, new fluid and mutiple bleedings they still feel shite, don't get me wrong, they stop the car (after a fashion) but they FEEL shite!

My MK2 has 8v front 16v rear's with a 22mm MC (no ABS) and they just feel soo nice compared to the damn VR's. Nice hard pedal that does not move very much but still with enough feel to hold it on the edge of lock-up.

I have no issues with fabbing new parts so I'd like to hear your take on it

Cheers

Simon

simon your vr will have abs. i know nout about that. it may be worth doing a serch or a new topic for your problem. brakes are one of those things that, over any thing else. should work correctly. good luck.

Simon, yes, the distance between the MC actuator rod and the pedal fulcrum is all wrong. It's far too close.

VW were obviously constrained by packaging, or just weren't aware that leverage is proportional to length/diameter/distance.

Very late Golf 3 and Ventos have better brakes with the same discs and calipers, which was down to a revised pedal box strangely enough.

So you could perhaps investigate that as a retro fit....

MK4 Golfs have a very sharp initial bite, and MK4 pedals fit (with a lot more work than the MK3 items) too.

Don't get me wrong, I can't stand the over-servoed, over-pedalled brakes that you get on modern cars, which feel impressively powerful at low speeds, but lack feel (and stopping power) at high speeds (due to tiny discs and pad surface area).

If you can live with the Medieval pedal, after market big stopper kits give mind boggling retardation from high speeds, but the low speed, 1st cm of travel will still feel dead.