adamukcorrado

Power steering fluid

i've got to replace a hose on my power steering at the weekend. previously i've just drained the fluid and then put it back in after changing hose but this time it needs topping up,

Can you mix different brands? (current fluid is pink- thats all i know...)

its probably worth changing whole lot, so how do you drain whole system rather than just feed to the pump?

official listed stuff is VW hydraulic oil G002 000

1.8 16v's have a red reservoir cap that has ATF marked on it although I've always refilled mine with green LHM type fluid (stuff for citroen hydro-pneumatic suspension), strange as the pumps and racks for the corrados are all basically the same and use the same type pumps. Early VW steering racks did run on ATF fluid, but not Corrados AFAIK.

I've always used just ATF, no special brand or anything, never heard of any colour other than red/pink colour. Can't see that there is anything special about Corrado power sterring, it's pretty much like any other car.

have been to local shop and there are loads of different Power steering fluids and ATF fluids for different manufacters etc. As i don't know whats in it at the moment the how do you drain the whole system- i.e between the pump and steering rack etc, so i change change it all in one go?

have been to local shop and there are loads of different Power steering fluids and ATF fluids for different manufacters etc. As i don't know whats in it at the moment the how do you drain the whole system- i.e between the pump and steering rack etc, so i change change it all in one go?

Just undo the pump fill hose and pressure hose, the whole lot will pi$$ out, Haynes says the pump should be primed before filling but the fluid will run straight through it and doesn't need priming in my experience.

Fill the reservoir up and run the engine, turn the steering from lock to lock until it quietens down (air bubbles forced out of rack) then top up reservoir if needed.

Ring GSF for the fluid type, bought mine from them before. If the system is really mucky it is worth flushing through and draining out again, all you'll need is a second 1L bottle, whole system is only 0.95L.

From Russian VW technical site for 1990 Corrado:

LUBRICATION

CAPACITY

Fluid capacity is approximately 1 qt. (.95L).

FLUID TYPE

On all models, the recommended fluid type is V.W. Hydraulic

Oil (G 002 000).

FLUID LEVEL CHECK

Remove reservoir cover. Start engine and let idle. Fluid

level should be between MIN and MAX marks on reservoir.

HYDRAULIC SYSTEM BLEEDING

1) Start engine and let idle. Ensure fluid is at proper

level. Turn steering wheel from lock to lock several times quickly.

2) Continue until fluid level remains at reservoir mark.

Ensure no bubbles appear in reservoir when steering wheel is turned.

Shut off engine. Ensure oil level does not rise more than 3/8" (10

mm).