Sign in to follow this  
grimmy

grimmy's red vr - been busy with lots of mdf page5

After much messing about i've got my new rado home :) It drives fine, and seems much smoother than my old vr (r.i.p.)

Its all original body work but has been zymol treated by the previous owner, and i'm sure the passenger door seems a slightly darker colour than the front wing... but the wing matches the bonnet, and the door matches the rear panel so hoping i can blend it in or something... ?!

Its currently totally standard except for adjustable koni shocks, but with standard springs so far as i can tell. Has 101k miles on the clock, and everything seems to be in order.

Just have a few things i need to sort out asap, pics shall illustrate.

Went out to the shop to fetch some beer so took a picture of it before it got too dark.

redrado1.jpg

Also the previous owner decided this would look good or something? Where can i get a different centre/horn push. Also does anyone know if i can just get a whole replacement centre jobby with fresh allen bolts, i want a shiny one :lol:

redradomomo.jpg

I've also found a strange little switch, was wondering if anyone could shed any light on what it may have been, but i presume something to do with an old alarm as its had a new clifford one fitted in the last few months.

radoswitch.jpg

radoswitch2.jpg

I shall begin making my own adjustments soon :)

Looks really good! :) But whats going on with that //M horn button!! Wonder where the PO got that idea from!! :)

That random button thing is actually something to do with a Clifford alarm.. it allows you to punch in an override code if you lose your keyfob I think! Looks like they did a pants job of installing it though!! :(

That random button thing is actually something to do with a Clifford alarm.. it allows you to punch in an override code if you lose your keyfob I think! Looks like they did a pants job of installing it though!! :(

Ah... I pushed the buttons a few times to see what would happen. Not a lot thankfully. The alarm is already getting on my tits because i'm not quite sure how to use it properly yet and it keeps locking me inside, and going off when i try and get out of it. Also its really noisy to lock/unlock, and if you stand near the car it makes loud noises until you move away.

I can't wait to sort the M tech badge cos i don't like it staring at me the whole time. But the wheel is a bit nicer to use than the standard one in my old vr.

Looks lovely mate! Hope this one lives forever unlike the last one (rip :() the red looks very nice and deep so shows its been looked after by the pervious owner. Not so sure about the M badge though :? what a strange thing to do :lol:

That really does look superb 8)

Yeh, that switch is a valet override switch.

So, what bits are you gonna swap from the old one? Wheels & exhaust?

Ah... I pushed the buttons a few times to see what would happen. Not a lot thankfully. The alarm is already getting on my tits because i'm not quite sure how to use it properly yet and it keeps locking me inside, and going off when i try and get out of it. Also its really noisy to lock/unlock, and if you stand near the car it makes loud noises until you move away.

I can't wait to sort the M tech badge cos i don't like it staring at me the whole time. But the wheel is a bit nicer to use than the standard one in my old vr.

If ya look at the Clifford site all the alarm manuals are there as downloadable PDFs but you should have a manual with the valet code on the back of it. You can silence the alarm-arming / disarming chirp thing using the button thing - keeps the neighbours happy :-)

That really does look superb 8)

Yeh, that switch is a valet override switch.

So, what bits are you gonna swap from the old one? Wheels & exhaust?

Yup it's a Valet switch, Allows you to change the alarm settings whilst it's in a garage for example, the mashing of it maybe why it's playing up with you inside..

Download the Clifford manual, but also find your nearest "Authorised" Clifford dealer (as opposed to a mobile fitter type jobbie) as they are normally pretty helpful, IIRC they'll also be able to access the Alarm code for you, as well as adjust the sensitivty of the microwave sensor's "Bubble" round the car....

Nice VR glad you jumped straight back in the saddle..

looks sweet pal red is the best 8) :lol: :lol:

enjoy and get rid of that daft horn asap!!!

I was going through the history to get it all in chronological order, and found some interesting stuff.

Check out this service done in 2003, I'd have sh1t pissed if given this bill. Seems a bit steep.

blimey.jpg

Also the guy had it rolling roaded at the same place, apparently at the same time and it made a very respectable 201bhp. But that was a few years ago now.

bhp.jpg

torque.jpg

That bill is huuuuge! :shock: At least you know it's had quality servicing etc from AmD 8)

That bill is huuuuge! :shock: At least you know it's had quality servicing etc from AmD 8)

Yeah, it should definately be looked upon as a positive thing that someone was willing to spend that on the car. Shows it's been well looked after. Got yourself a nice car there bud. :thumbleft:

that bill is huge but it was 4 years ago and probably all needs doing again!!!

only messing pal you can always tell a well cared for car with the reciepts!!

mine had 3k spent a couple of years ago also!!

Last night i made the mistake of deciding to polish up the tatty looking ring on my steering wheel, and sort out some bolts for it. After half an hour of rubbing it back with 400grit wet and dry i realised i'd made a huge mistake... But as i'd already started to get the edges a little bit i had to carry on. 3 hours of various grades of wet and dry i'd got it flat and fairly polished so hit it with some autosol and it looked lovely. Sprayed the tops of some skateboard bolts matt black and it looks a lot better. Just waiting on a new horn push off ebay now.

wheelyshiny.jpg

The speedlines on the car had been refurbed but pretty badly, so looked shite. Planning to but some bbs Rx's on at the weekend when i put my new springs on so thought i'd experiment with the speedlines while i have em on.

blackey.jpg

pillll.jpg

Looks soooo good in the flesh, pictures don't really show it in its true light. But at the weekend it'll be looking even better when i get it some new springs on. I read good things about koni ta's with pi springs. Luckily for me these landed on my doorstep today :)

springs.jpg

What paint did you use?

Thinking of Self-furbing the Estos until I can afford to get them done properly.

But not sure if Satin Black would suit a Pearl Ghey car..... Maybe too dark on dark?

I'm almost definate the paint i used was a ridiculous choice. You must understand this is only to last until the weekend when i take them off and refurb them properly. But i used plastikote?! Woodstove spray. It was on the shelf in my workshop and withstands extreme heat... Plus i dig the matt black look :lol:

Well i got my friend to slap the springs on, and then gave it a good clean up so took it out for some pictures after but it was getting pretty dark so didn't have too much luck. She looks soooo much better for the drop and shiny wheels, but i think the back will have to come up a bit more as its lower than the front and is scrubbing quite badly :(

Anyway these are a couple of pics i managed to get before the light totally went. I'll try and get some better ones tomorrow.

Just outside my house before i went to get beer

2007_0609lowered0001.jpg

Then stopped off at an old haunt for a couple of shots

2007_0609lowered0023.jpg

2007_0609lowered0017.jpg

2007_0609lowered0032.jpg

2007_0609lowered0009.jpg

2007_0609lowered0012.jpg

Looks very cool :) Could the scrubbing be anything to do with camber at the front? In that first pic it looks like it has a bit too much negative camber?

Its the back scrubbing to shite when i go over bumps, the koni dampers have a few different settings for ride height so we just slapped it on the lowest to see how she sat, but its a bit too level, want to raise the back up another 10mm and hopefully it'll scrub less too.

Oh - misread your post. Thought you said front was scrubbing.. doh :)