Sign in to follow this  
maxveins

High running temp...

Ok, so finally got the car sorted and running, but...

The temperature seems to sit at about 110 degrees, is this really bad, and what could be causing it..?

It's had a new radiator, water pump, thermostat, temp sender and fan switch.

Cheers for your help

Max

Yeah thats the thing, it just kind of holds the temperature there, fan kicks in as it should and just holds the temp that high...

Starter motor seems to have gone to top it off... Not having much luck so far... :(

Max

110C isn't that bad to be honest, especially if it's a VR. I wouldn't worry too much unless it starts heading towards 115+ regularly.

Its a 1.8 16v...

Well I'll take a view on it over then next week, my main concern is the lack of starting at the minute... rubbish

Max

I don't think 110 is too high - mine has hit those temps regularly over the last few years without disaster.

Also adding to the strange temperature anomalies I've had the last week,

when I have my lights on, the temp warning light kind of flashes really intermittently...

This does not happen on sidelights, or off... Now I am really confused..!

Max

My C hits these temps to on hot days but since havin head gasket done has now generally sits around 90- 100 but as said on hot days can still reach 110 and mines a valver

I guess today was pretty darn hot so I'll just hope it was that,

might get the head gasket done soon for peace of mind anyhow...

Cheers for the reasurance, with things going wrong so far I've been aprehensive of keeping the bloody thing!

Fortunately the bug has already bitten, and I can't see myself in another car for a long time..! Hehe :D

Max

When I got my VR two months ago it used to regularly shoot upto 110, especially in traffic. This was particularly strange in that it would be fine for a while, then whack, straight up to 110, and the stage 2 would be going mental. :( Kind of embarassing at traffic lights as people used to stare at the car (for the wrong reasons!!)

Any way, i changed the thermostat, problem solved. It now sits at 80 to 85 on long runs (helped by a fully vented front grill) and goes no higher than 95 when in traffic. In fact i hardly notice the fan at all now. The bonus is the engine is obviously running a lot cooler now.

Not sure if this is the answer to your problem? but hope it helps.

P.S. When i changed the thermostat I noticed the thermostat housing was knackered, being cracked on the inside lip of the plastic where the O ring sits!!! Could have been a real pain in the arse!!! So it is a good opportunity to check that as well.

P.S.S. It's a pretty easy job, but if you're not too sure about how to do it, I'm think someone posted a link on how to change the thermostat.