Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Expansion tank sensor connector...

Hi folks. Hit the search but could not find anything like this problem.

In amongst the various jobs done to my car today, we attempted to fit a new expansion tank. Nice and easy you say, and yes it was.. until I went to reconnect the plug that feeds the flashing warning LED on the dash. Somehow the plug inside is a bit buggered and will not clip back onto the new (or old for that matter!) tank.. so going to need to replace the plug but the amount of cable to play with is rather miniscule and according to Tempest, VW don't sell the tools you need to crimp the cables up inside. So i'm feeling a bit stuck. What the hell can I do about this?

Thanks in advance.

Bump :(

Thinking I should probably snip one off a car being broken for parts and then snip the one on mine off, and solder it on and tidy it up a bit / wrap in electrical tape or heat wrap or something?

Unless there's a way of bodging the broken one i think you may have to go with the the solder and heat shrink approach.....so there's no way of sorting out the contacts in the one that's broken then??

Doesn't seem like it mate. It seems that when you push the plug onto the expansion tank, for some reason the contacts in the plug are recessing into the plug a little so no matter how much force you use to put the plug on it just will not clip on. When you look at the connector you can use a small electrical screw driver to pull the contacts back out a little bit but obviously as soon as you try to push the plug on again they're just getting pushed back into the plug. Brilliant!!

Ho hum. Looks like I need to buy a soldering iron then!

Just been out to look at mine.......would packing the holes where the cables go into help?? take the angled wire guide thimmy off and maybe wedge in something like a couple of matchsticks? That should stop the cable sliding back down the tube....only an idea

Will go and have another look in a bit when the engine bay has cooled off (not long got back from a drive!) - thats quite possible that it might work but i'm not sure if the cable is actually pushing out the back of the plug, or whether its just the pins inside that are a bit knackered.. good suggestion though and I will go and have a look in a bit :)

Go pop down to uncle Vince - he's got the bits you need to re-attach the pins into the plug :)

Yeah, uncle Vince has the kit but you can do it yourself...

Just buy the plug, wire bungs and one repair wire from VAG (2 ended) - these wires just clip into the plug then solder / heatshrink.

Its ok mate. Have spoken to Vince and am popping over on Friday for a quick fix! :)