Sign in to follow this  
dirtytorque

Fuel pump replacement?

Fuel pump no longer buzzes when I turn the ignition key.

I have been having some running probs for the last month,i.e rough running.

hesitation awful idle etc.

Then the stalling stated.

Now when I turn the ignition to the on position the fuel pump no longer makes the familiar whirring sound.

Just in time for the Show season. :roll:

So new fuel pump then I guess?!

Is it a major PITA to change?

So I guess I should rule out an electrical fault first.

so I'm thinking fuel pump relay.

Anything else electrical in line with these devices that would disrupt operation?

cheers.

j reg g60.

Hi Mate,

Fuel pump is easy (if a little expensive!) I susggest you try the fuel pump relay first as its much cheeper

and just as likely (if not more so) to fail as the pump itself!

You will have to do a search to find out the position and number thats stamped on the top, as the new one from VW

will probably be different!

Dan

Cool :-) will keep my fingers crossed! Have you done the fuel filter too? Worth a shot if you havent done it yet.

I did think about that.

if it was just the rough running still I would, but the fact that the pump dosn't buzz anymore when i turn on the ignition makes me think more relay or the actual pump.

If changing the relay dosn't help then I will change the pump and filter.

Wot do u think?

Worth doing in that sequence, yeah. The rough running could have been indicative of the fuel pump being on its last legs or the filter being so clogged it just couldn't get enough fuel through. Regardless of what you do, would strongly reccommend swapping the filter anyway.. they're not expensive and should be done as an infrequent service job - but never are!

You will probably be amazed at the state of the fuel filter straps mine where more rust than metal :-(

And I still havent got new ones yet :oops:

Dan

I've got to go to a vw dealer 2day to pick up the company load lugger(passat) so I will let them bill me for a fuel filter.

cheers.

Buy replacement clips for the hose on either side of the pump as well - they'll be totally shot by now and undoing them will probably be the death of them! New ones don't cost much! :)

do you mean like the fuel injection system hose clamp jobbies as feautred in the link posted by stan 24v?

Just incase I get a blank face when I ask for them.

I'm looking at the manual now tryin to get a fix on the hoses u mean.The blue and black ones?

I mean the hoses that run along the underside of the car and clip on either side to the fuel filter..

tried ignition this am as I was gonna quickly change the relay b4 work.

The pump is buzzing again now?!,Must be intermittent.

However the strangest thing is that relay position 12 is empty.!?!

Now there is a lone relay that isn't pluggen into the board,but just hangs loose suspended from the wires that it is connected into to.

I have always wondered what this relay was for but I have never looked into it.

Maybe it is the relay for the fuel pump?!

intermittent fuel pump? Could be an ignition switch fault.... have you ever changed it? It's only about £25 and is reasonably easy to do (there's even a guide in the Wiki that some kind person wrote ;) :lol: ) and could well be the cause of your problems... ;)

intermittent fuel pump? Could be an ignition switch fault.... have you ever changed it? It's only about £25 and is reasonably easy to do (there's even a guide in the Wiki that some kind person wrote ;) :lol: ) and could well be the cause of your problems... ;)

Changed mine recently. Although it's not too taxing, it's fiddly, I'd recommend using the Wiki guide & DEFINITELY use a large cushion as suggested!! :lol:

changed ignition switch last year.

The syptoms of that were that none of the usual ignition lights were coming up on the dash(battery light water temp etc),where as they do now?!??

Ok,2 questions

I can't help but think that when priming the fuel pump sounds slightly different.

I hear that when they start to go they become noisy?

If I buy a fuel pressure gague kit is checking the fuel pressure easy enough 2do?

From reading around it looks like I need to ask for a sender as well as it will be likely my present one will not fit the new pump

:censored: