Sign in to follow this  
Colley

re-spray - preperation

I'm thinking about getting a respray on parts of the c and wondered how tricky it was to do the prep work yourself? I've had a look on the search but there isnt anything definative. Wondered what the process was and how long it would take to do a bumper for instance. Was thinking about making this my summer project you see!

Cheers

No help, but me too. My whole car is littered with very minor stone chips and scratches. Sadly it will involve a complete respray, by the time I've connected the dots.

I'm guessing some filling and sanding of the damage, then a general sand down of the whole car with some fine wet and dry.

Phil

Heres a very quick run down of materials and what you need to do

80 grit

180 grit

240 grit

400 wet and dry

600 wet and dry

800 wet and dry

Scotchbrite

Filler

Etch primer

High build primer

1" and 2" masking tape

Masking Paper

If you have any dents the use 80 grit take the paint back to bare metal then fill as required, when you're happy then feather out the surrounding area with 180 and 240 grit each taking out the scratches caused by the previous grade.

Deep scratches can be done in the same way but without the filler

Light scratches and stone chips should be flatted wet with 400 then 600 grit until bare metal shows with a halo effect.

Once your happy wet flat the whole panel with 600 wet or use a scotchbrite dry repeat for all the panels you want to prime.

Any areas of bare metal should be etch primed then a suitable primer applied.

Don't use newspaper and don't prime up to edges of your masking as you will end up with an edge.

Once the primer has dried apply a guide coat of black paint and wet flat using 800 paper until the guide coat has disappeared.

Always use plenty of clean water when wet flatting, a block where possible and don't let the rubbing down residue dry on the panel take it off with a sponge or shammy.

Once you realise that its going to cost a minimum of £100 in materials and you need a primer gun compressor and 2 pack safe mask plus a good week to prepare to an acceptable standard

The level of preparation work reflects in the finish of the paintwork so unless you are really confident in your ability its best to leave well alone as you can create more work for the painter, I am at college at the moment working towards being a painter and we do work for customers a lot who say ive done the prep work its all ready to paint and 2 weeks later its still being prepped

I hope i haven't put you off too much and if you need any advice just pm me

Cheers Marc

Gulp, yeah its more work than i had thought actually but thanks for giving me the full low down!

Andy

i got a little bosch palm sander (GSS 140A)- clip some wet and dry paper on the bottom and away you go- old paint flatted in minutes. The bearings on the foot are good enough to even flat down new paint after spraying- put 2000 grit on it and its gentle enough to just take off any orange peel left after spraying. Quality tool :D well worth the £45 i paid on ebay, and bosch even sent me a new one when it got knocked off the table and a clip broke.