Sign in to follow this  
RDH

Finally found one!! Update 16/04/10

Hi, after months of searching, over 1200 miles travelling to look at C's, I have finally found a decent one..................7 miles from my house!!.

It is a 94 16v, 2 owners, 112k and loads of history and receipts, and it is purple!!!.

Corrado92.pdfRado1.JPG[/attachment:74475]

Really pleased so far, few problems to sort out, paintwork mainly, and a bit of damage to rear quarter where previous owner drove into a bollard!!

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDSCF0855.JPG[/attachment:74475]

Few dings and stone chips here and there, plan is to paint pretty much everything except the roof.

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSCF0852.JPG[/attachment:74475]

Interior is in fantastic condition, sunroof slides!!!, mirrors did not work so I fixed them using the guide on this site!!

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSCF0862.JPG[/attachment:74475]

Problems still to sort are-

Spoiler does not rise at speed (just works off the button)- trying to get the Pioneer head unit out to check wiring.

Heater blows on speed 4- have bought resistors and soldering iron and have printed guide off this site.

ABS light comes on when car first started, if I drive for a while switch ignition off and then on it goes out??, need VAG com I think.

Need good service and cambelt ASAP-loking for a suitable garage/person to carry out work.

Plan is to restore car to original condition (apart from Head unit-not that much of a purist), I have owned a variety of VW's in the past, and currently have a SEAT ibiza to use as daily driver. I have always wanted a Corrado, and this will be used as a second car.

DSCF0865.JPG[/attachment:74475]

Will post pics as I go, I enjoy detailing cars so will post pics as I clean the various parts of the car (if anyone is interested)

Cheers for looking (hope the pics work)

Rich

1200 miles and that was best??!!

lovely colour that pal i have spare spoiler module if you want it??

and thats always the case right on your doorsatep!!

better than haveing mu luck i always search high and low for a bargain buy somat then find it cheaper elsewere!!!

Shouldn't be too hard to sort out most of that stuff - I think virtually every Corrado out there has a few little things that need sorting on them though :)

Welcome aboard and look forward to seeing this progress - looks like a great starting point :)

Yeah, looked at some ok motors (and some crap), but something always felt....wrong if you know what I mean, dodgy history, over-priced, didn't like the seller etc etc, or maybe I am too much of a picky git!!. This car really appealed and felt right (will probably fall to bits now), the damage did'nt put me off as I know an excellent bodyshop guy.

Could it be the spoiler module?, how can you check?. if it is this I would be interested in it, you will have to let me know how much you want.

Cheers for reply

Rich.

if you wanna meet up with us one day i am happy to meet pal can check it and if it works just give us what i gave for it off a lad on here think i paid £25 quid had mine in boot and didnt know so now i have 2!!!! but both work.

Cheers for offer, if I can't get to bottom of spoiler problem I may take you up on that!!

Thanks

Rich

Cheers for offer, need to sort a few other bits first (ABS and Cambelt!!), will definately consider it if I can't sort spoiler.

Many thanks

Rich

Nice! I'm glad you weren't put off by the work that needs doing. Like Jim said I can't see you having much trouble getting that lot sorted. Just niggly old car things no doubt. Well done mate and defo keep us informed.

Cheers for replies guys, will no doubt be asking loads of Q's over the coming weeks and months.

Sonicrot- good luck with "the project" looks like hours of fun :D, seriously-hope you get it sorted, looks like it will be a nice motor when completed.

Off now to try and remove the head unit, or I may just have to go for a drive............... 8)

Rich

Cheers for replies guys, will no doubt be asking loads of Q's over the coming weeks and months.

Sonicrot- good luck with "the project" looks like hours of fun :D, seriously-hope you get it sorted, looks like it will be a nice motor when completed.

Off now to try and remove the head unit, or I may just have to go for a drive............... 8)

Rich

Cheers buddy :thumbleft: It is hours of fun much to my girlfriend's dismay :lol: . Unfortunately I am still at the stage where every time I go out there I find something else wrong but I think I'm to starting to win now. I must admit I'll feel a lot better about it when I find the end of that injector :lol: :lol: :lol: . Off now to order a new set of gaskets for the inlet manifold....

Decided to try and fix the blower today (only worked on speed 4), printed guide off here, and bought resistors and a soldering iron.

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSCF0875.JPG[/attachment:e5a25]

Following the superb instructions set about removing the motor (which was really easy)

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSCF0877.JPG[/attachment:e5a25]

Next I searched for the offending resistor.......to my great suprise there was'nt one!!,so I printed off a larger picture to try and figure it out.

DSCF0881.JPG[/attachment:e5a25]

I eventually realised the white wire had been soldered in place of the resistor :shock: , so I checked through the folder of receipts I got with the car, sure enough the resistor had been "repaired"about two years ago, this cost the previous owner £70 :shock: Shows how easy it is to get ripped off!!.

So with the help of my neighbour we soldered in a new resistor (not the neatest of jobs, and I forgot to take ony pics!!).

The fan now works on all four settings. :D

So that's mirrors and blower fixed for very little outlay, hope ABS and spoiler problems are as cheap/easy!.

Cheers

Rich.

Good job buddy :thumbleft:. That's one job that can be ticked off the list! I would say let's have a race to see who can finish their car first but I'd so lose :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers!, hats off for the work you have done so far, hope you get your injectors sorted!!, I would not know where to start with mechanical problems. Think the ABS and spoiler may be a bit more difficult to sort!!

Rich

Cheers buddy, it goes without saying that there are plenty of very knowledgeable people (a lot of whom put me to shame) around here that will always be willing to help you out. The spoiler I think will most likely be pretty straight forward and with the ABS it depends on what the cause is. Just look at it all as a learning curve. Every car I work on teaches me something new. Well.... several things new in the case of the one I'm working on at the moment! :lol:

Decided to try and fix the blower today (only worked on speed 4), printed guide off here, and bought resistors and a soldering iron.

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSCF0875.JPG[/attachment:b0be6]

Following the superb instructions set about removing the motor (which was really easy)

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSCF0877.JPG[/attachment:b0be6]

Next I searched for the offending resistor.......to my great suprise there was'nt one!!,so I printed off a larger picture to try and figure it out.

DSCF0881.JPG[/attachment:b0be6]

I eventually realised the white wire had been soldered in place of the resistor :shock: , so I checked through the folder of receipts I got with the car, sure enough the resistor had been "repaired"about two years ago, this cost the previous owner £70 :shock: Shows how easy it is to get ripped off!!.

So with the help of my neighbour we soldered in a new resistor (not the neatest of jobs, and I forgot to take ony pics!!).

The fan now works on all four settings. :D

So that's mirrors and blower fixed for very little outlay, hope ABS and spoiler problems are as cheap/easy!.

Cheers

Rich.

Glad to see my guide came in handy 8)

Not a bad looking motor mate, and its nice to see someone who has searched the site and read up a bit, nice one :wink:

Cheers!

Really appreciate guides (especially with pictures!!), thanks for taking time to do this- I would probably have had to pay someone to sort it (or buy another blower unit), the more I can do myself the more cash I have to "restore" the Corrado.

This weekend will probably involve investigating the spoiler not working at speed, and the ABS problems.

Many thanks

Rich.

Well the Corrado has gone to the bodyshop for the paintwork to be sorted, also having a service and general check over- and hopefully the ABS problem sorting.

Will post some pics as work progresses.

Still not fixed the spoiler problem, took the stereo out and found the blue and white wire- this does not go to the Head unit, but has been soldered to a black wire which disappears behind the clock- possibly to the fuse board. Not had a good look at fuse board yet, and need to find how to access the rear of it (have read on here wire can be unplugged when alarms etc fitted)- any ideas??

Need a few bits of trim- cigarette lighter, and a new base for the ariel/complete new ariel. Also looking for some new rubber roof strips- anyone know a good source for these (seen them on ebay for £85 + £10 p&p), may yet trim off the crumbling edge and try and revive the rest with some trim/rubber care products.

Will keep updating

Rich

Well C is finally back from the bodyshop, have to say I am pleased -looks a million times better-although perhaps pics do not show this.

Have replaced the roof rubbers and window scraper seals which freshen it up a bit, have left the side mouldings off-mainly because the originals were in poor condition and new ones are unavailable.

Wheels have been refurbed

Jobs left to do-

Sort ABS fault (have bought a relay-which I am told is faulty, and a spare ABS ECU just in case)

Sort spoiler working automatically (bought a module in case it is at fault)

Clean interior (in really good nick just needs a good clean)

Give exterior and wheels a good polish.

Try and find roof mouldings that go over hinges.

Get new VW stickers for centre of wheels.

Here are a few pics

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfrado 1.JPG[/attachment:9cc6d]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfrado 2.JPG[/attachment:9cc6d]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfrado 3.JPG[/attachment:9cc6d]

DSCF0896 (Custom).JPG[/attachment:9cc6d]

Will add some more pictures as I sort the jobs, have to say I have really missed driving the car, keep having to go in the garage and stand just looking at it like some saddo...........

Cheers

Rich

Still not fixed the spoiler problem, took the stereo out and found the blue and white wire- this does not go to the Head unit, but has been soldered to a black wire which disappears behind the clock- possibly to the fuse board. Not had a good look at fuse board yet, and need to find how to access the rear of it (have read on here wire can be unplugged when alarms etc fitted)- any ideas??

Might be worth chopping that for testing purposes, can't see it doing any harm and you have a soldering iron...