nemesis360

VR6 rebuild - Downpipe and exhaust tacked up

Well my engines totaly stripped and just in time too...

As you would expect of an engine thats done 178k and never been apart its rather worn, the list of parts is growing by the day!

But while its apart ill be slotting some low compression pistons in to make way for the rotrex! 8)

More updates on the engine bay soon

Graham

Hello mate!

When you've finished doing yours do you fancy doing mine? Although i'll have to pass on the charger, although i do fancy the sound of that!...

Waz

Of course mate whenever your ready, Ive just moved house and Ive got no drive so Id have to do it at your house if youve got room,

plus I picked up a spare VR engine with a holed piston that I can use for parts if we need anything.

Graham

Start by removing the bumper and slam panel, radiator, front subframe, then work your way round the block and gearbox undoing anything attached to the body of the car then pull the engine and box out of the front with a crane.

Youll work it out as you go along its worth marking where everything goes coz your likely to forget!

Graham

Cheers mate, probably looking to do it early next year, maybe towards the end of Feb when I can use the bike a bit more and have the car off the road for a while. I think its burning a bit more oil and the tappets are sounding pretty rough now!

Hopefully it'll last till then, otherwise you'll be getting a call a bit sooner!

Look forward to seeing yours when its done

Waz

Just a quick update, The engine bay is totally stripped of any wiring pipes etc and ive started removing all the brackets etc that i wont need (bought a new camera this morning so Ill get so pics up soon) Head has been skimmed and is now rebuilt, Inlet manifold is chopped in half and im just working out which way Im gonna do my short runner...Rotrex here we come :D

Should be ordering all kinds of goodies over the next couple of months 8) Ill post them up as I get them

Graham

at this rate you will be done b4 me mate :( have you still got the links for the charger/brackets etc???

karl

Yes mate, Im making my own bracket coz im mounting it differently, but if it wont go how I think then Ill buy one...Are you getting yours from Storm?

Ive got loads of stuff to do and I miss the car but I was never totally happy with it so hopefully Itll be 90% there when its back on the road then just a few small jobs I can do at a later date.

Graham

Yeah thats it Karl Its only in the way if you mount it flush against the Alternator bracket...Ill space it out to miss the filter housing that but then I might run into issues with the charger hiting the front cross member...but that can be fixed with a grinder and a mallet :lol:

With the outside of my car being smoothed Im trying to keep the bay as tidy as I can...which is giving me a few headaches!

Hiding all the wiring, battery in the boot getting the charge cooler and pipe work behind the bumper etc etc Im gonna go emerald to help with the wiring issues and obviously the benefits with the mapping.

Oh my god why do we start these things :lol:

Hows progress with yours? or has the new car put things on hold?

Graham

Heres a few pics of what I did today...

This is the view I had this morning...15 years of dirt and oil!

Bay1.jpg

After about 2 hours of cleaning...Autoglym engine and machine cleaner is brilliant stuff :D

Bay3.jpg

Only a few small patches of rust not bad for 15 years old

Bay2.jpg

Then I started cutting off all the bits I dont need with a grinder...

Bay4.jpg

After that I just put a bit of primer on as a temporary measure to stop the rust while I get the welding done

Bay5.jpg

And last but not least a pic of my interior :shock: lol

Interior1.jpg

Finally got round to doing some work on the C...

Ive cut the rain tray off...

Bay6.jpg

Bay8.jpg

Bay10.jpg

Bay11.jpg

Welding up all the holes Im not going to need and removing the seam sealer...

Bay1-2.jpg