Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

16v vs VR front wheel bearings URGENT

Im converting my vr6 to 4 stud by using 16v parts. Driven out the hub but now im unsure which bearing to use when fitting the 4 stud hub into the carrier. any one got any ideas?

are the bearings the same size, and the vr is just better built? or are they different?

Im converting my vr6 to 4 stud by using 16v parts. Driven out the hub but now im unsure which bearing to use when fitting the 4 stud hub into the carrier. any one got any ideas?

are the bearings the same size, and the vr is just better built? or are they different?

I have done a similar thing, I measured the bearings, 16v and VR6, and found no difference

I contacted GSF in Cardiff and Greg was very helpfull in helping me out. He got the bearings from each version of car and measured the bearings for me. From that we found that the widths are the same, but outside are slightly different in that the vr's are slightly bigger. Because im using vr uprights the vr bearings are the only choice as 16v ones are too small and hence wouldnt work.

Why the **** would you want to do that? VW made the VR6 5 stud for a reason.

I am fitting a vr into my 16v and I want to keep using my wheels, which are four stud. If i did the normal 5 stud conversion I wouldnt be able to use my wheels, and no adaptors can be made due to the PCD's. Thats MY reason!

I have done a similar thing, I measured the bearings, 16v and VR6, and found no difference

thanks Chris, good to know some people can give usefull advice :lol:

I like to think I do give good advice, as I have done in The Golf+ each month for the last ten years or so but my advice is only as good as the information I am provided with.

Sorry...off topic...

But i hope so :D

Just emailed you Steve? via the golf+ about This problem ive had for 21 months! :shock:

Back on topic! sorry. :oops:

Neil.

Thanks Crasher, I can see how you where concerned. Lets all make up and be friends, too many tw@ts on here and thought you were one.

I did have concerns about the offset of the brakes and wheels.

You think that I cant use g60 carriers and disks? I have a set of mk4 1.8T brake setup, would that help?

my wheels are et+38, will that be problem?

No problem :D The G60 disc has a conventional deep bell and if you then try to offer up the G60 caliper carrier, it will be well out of line.

ok more problems

the abs plates are different widths so they have to be changed over from th vr hubs to the 16v's to avoid fouling, this lead to a problem with stud clearance and so the studs will have to be trimmed down a little, or the plate will be trimmed.

and like crasher said the g60 brakes wont work with this setup. I have a complete mk4 1.8t golf setup to try, only prob is that the disc's are at my girlfriends house so wont be able to check untill next week, unless someone can tell me if this setup should work, if not which will? may even do a tt conversion

I know this mod is not ideal and must point out im doing this as a temp fix untill i find some nice 5 stud wheels where i can do a proper conversion.