Sign in to follow this  
livi1982

Restoration or Modification - leave replies!!

Recently bought a 1991 Valver which needs some work done. It's not a storm or something overly special so spending loads of cash keeping it standard with a low mileage seems like a bit of a waste, but on the other hand I love the lines of the car and think overly modifying it would run it's looks. Just wanted to hear some arguements for and against. So lets see some opinions.

For an example, I'm looking to do something about the alloys. It has the originals on just now, which are in a bit of a state (need refurbed), but I'm not a big fan of them when I see them new. My mate has found a set of BBS G60 alloys which I think are smart or I can go all out and get a set of chunky 5 spoke borbets which I absolutely love.

I'd say restore. I think most people on here would say the same. Nice, original examples of Corrado's (especially earlier models) are getting harder and harder to find. There is a lot to be said for a nice clean original valver! :)

I'd say a bit of both really. Some sensible mods (suspension, wipers, headlight looms and maybe some under bonnet stuff if that floats your boat) will improve your enjoyment of the car without compromising its integrity as a rare car on British roads. I don't really like body kit changes although some tasteful uprating of lights for more modern styles can look good.

Vaughan

I wouldn't worry about it too much - as the guys have said, if you stick to reversible stuff then it doesn't matter.

The real dilemma comes when you see how much the genuine VAG parts cost compared with uprated aftermarket ones.

I'd certainly avoid putting new VAG suspension on tho, it's rediculously high.

I kind of disagree with some of the suspension comments. Early cars sit far lower than the late VRs, and for everyday practical use is fine. The car was designed around the standard suspension, and thats where it got it's excellent handling reputation.

If you've recently bought the car, hang onto your money till you get a feel for things, a major breakdown or MOT failure could be right around the corner, after all it's a 16 yar old car, and parts aren't cheap.

In my case my shopping list for my car is in order, headlamp loom, TT/lupo Wipers, BMC(possibly), 288mm brakes(possibly), Timing chains etc, bodywork.

The rest will stay as it is.

As people have mentioned, the wipers and headlamp loom are really good upgrades to poor original components. G60/VR front brakes fit (280mm disks rather than 256mm)

15 and 16 inch wheels seem to suit the corrados in terms of drivability, 17s fit, but often people will complain about a decrease in the quality of the cars handling and steering.

That's my 2p anyway.

Tom

PS, get some pictures up...

i would leave spending on the valver until you've made sure that you are going to keep it long-term and don't want either a G60 or VR6 for their performance advantages,as if you've spent a small fortune on your valver and then make the mistake of having a look at a G60 or VR then its gonna be money wasted

btw where from the 'deen are you???

there's a VW(Eastside) meet every Tuesday evening at the beach ballroom(no where not "bouley bashers")

I kind of disagree with some of the suspension comments. Early cars sit far lower than the late VRs, and for everyday practical use is fine. The car was designed around the standard suspension, and thats where it got it's excellent handling reputation..

And Tom's ability to go only where the Farm's tractors can go! :lol: