Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

Cleaning product for black trim?

Can anyone recomend a cleaning product that will turn my black exterior trim back to black?

The years of white polish streaks have turned my roofstrips and aerial a nast grey colour, is there anything that will clean off the old polish? Had a look through Halfords and everything is to keep it black or just some kind of silicone solution that just covers it up for a while before washing off.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Mer Bumper And Trim Cleaning Gel :)

It is something a lot of people tend to leave,but like the paintwork...cleaning before dressing will give better,longer lasting results.

Neil.

Edited by Riley

I never bothered to do anything with the black trim when i polish my car, but i decided that I would this time round. I used that Mer stuff and all i can say is i forgot how great it works.

i removed all my roof strips,the plastics where the wipers are an satin blacked them,worked a treat 8)

i also spray tyre silk on my front splitter for that good as new look :lol:

Finally managed to get some of the Mer Bumper & Trim Gel and all I can say is wow.

Worked a treat without too much elbow grease. Really impressed with the way its brought all my black trim back to black, even the roof strips which were covered in old white polish marks.

Cheers for the tip. :D

If you want another good tip, heat up the plastic with a hairdryer or heat gun before applying it as it makes the job easier and they stay black for much longer. Heat alone actually re-blackens (if thats a word :lol:) plastic, try it, just hold a hairdryer on hottest setting close to the plastic and watch it turn :lol:

Hello Judith,

It took a run round a few of the local stores but managed to get some from Halfords, £6.99.

Was a bit worried that it came out like green snot, but worked a treat.

Jay

Hiya,

Thanks. I may see if I can find some round here.

There are only 2 ways to do it IMO, all the bumper products just don't seem to last any length of time. Sure they look great when applied but most of them stay "wet" and wash off pretty quick.

A heat gun works pretty well, or my favourite is Kiwi Scuff Cover (yes, the shoe dye stuff) that comes in a bottle with a sponge applicator. Lasts 6 months at least!