Sign in to follow this  
MK1Campaign

VR6 Radiator replacement - How to?

Is there a guide anywhere on how to change a VR6 radiator. Trying to decide wether to pay someone or have a go myself.

Is there anything else worth changing while the cars in bits?

ive done it mate pretty self explanitry really whole front end is the best way to get it out! Only thing that is a pain is screws rounding off and im not the most mechanically minded!! give it a go i say!

Agree with Jon- have a go yourself. You have to remove the following bits:

Grille

Fog lights + indicators

Bumper

Slam panel

Sounds like a lot, but it's actually really straight forward. The only difficult part was undoing the 4 big bumper bolts- they were totally seized. It took me and a mate to get them off with a breaker bar.

I would get all new bolts etc from VAG for when you put it all back together. Also put a little white grease on the bumper bolt threads before refitting.

I'm rubbish mechanically- very little experience, and it took me an afternoon to do. Reckon I could do it in a couple of hours now I know what to do.

I've just done this but didn't take any photos....

Drive the car up onto wood blocks so that you can get under the front of the car. Put it in gear and handbrake on. Make sure that the blocks are secure.

First remove the grill, and remove headlights. Put these in your boot for safe keeping. Then remove the indicators and the fogs. I had to leave the foglights still attached until the bonnet was loose as I couldn't get to the wiring with the bumper on. Disconnect the outside air temp sender from the bumper.

Get a 10mm socket and remove the 6 bolts holding the bottom of the bumper to the cross member. then take a 19 or 17mm socket (can't remember which one), extension and long bar and remove the 4 bolts holding the bumper on.

Pull the bumper away at the arches so the arch liner pops out both sides, then pull the bumper forward, it should come straight off the front of the car.

Next take a 10mm socket and remove the miriad of screws holding the slam panel to the wings, radiator and front cross member, unclip the bonnet release cable from the clips ont he drivers wing and you can lift the slam panel off and place it alongside the wing on the floor with the cable still attached.

Next remove the plastic trim from the front and rear of the radiator, unclip the top hose, fan connections, thermoswitch and bottom hose and the radiator and fans should be good to lift out.

Replace the fan and connect everything but the top hose, fill the engine with water through this (and the radiator) and reconnect.

Run the car to temperature with the slam panel off so that you can see any leaks easily.

I replaced the spring hose clips with jubilees.

Hope that helps

Tom