Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged

Buying a Compressor

Bonjour,

I am looking at getting a compressor (13amp mains powered) for general use i.e.Wheel nuts, tyres pressures, cleaning, fluid changes and maybe sanding, blasting and spraying in the future...

Only have a single garage so don't want anything huge but also obviously want to make it worth buying one!

Looking at 2HP / 50 Ltrs at the moment... what do you think?>

Any makes to avoid or feutures to look for like 'autostart' etc??

TIA

I was thinking of going for the compressor on that group buy, whats a ball park figure?

In my opinion things go wrong with mass produced compressors all to easily. I'd prefer to take it down the road to my local machinery supplier to get it warranteed up rather than send it back to some dude who has no proper warranty support.

There should be local tool suppliers near by, I'd check them and their prices, compressors are often included in money off offers. Also try your local garage. It's unlikely that they'll use a small portable one, but they do have to have compressors inspected and changed regularly to get insurance. You could pick up a decent sized unit (better for spraying) for a reasonable price. /my 2p

I bought one from Machine Mart last year for about £130, it's ideal for small work in the garage and takes up very little room. They have a huge range to choose from so there should be something for every taste.

I was thinking of going for the compressor on that group buy, whats a ball park figure?

General rule of thumb seems to be about 40% off whatever they cost in Machine Mart, but it's just a ballpark...